You are here

Frustrating recording lag in Logic

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Frustrating recording lag in Logic

Postby Bernard James » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi all,

Hope I'm posting this in the right section of the forum. I'm having a headache with Logic and I'm sure it's a simple latency thing but none of the settings I alter seem to be making it better. Basically there's a pretty large delay/lag between what goes into the microphone and comes out through my headphones. It's been like this for ages and I've just ignored it by recording in Ableton, but now I'm trying to man-up and fix this silly situation... so i turn to you!

Please help!
Bernard James
Poster

Re: Frustrating recording lag in Logic

Postby desmond » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Firstly, what are your audio buffer settings? The higher the value, the bigger/longer the latency between stuff going in to Logic and stuff coming out again.

128 should be fine for general purpose stuff, you may want to go down to 64 or 32 if your hardware can handle it.

Secondly, if you want zero latency, see if your audio hardware has a zero latency direct monitoring option.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: E&MM Aug 86
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Bernard James » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi, Thanks for the post, I've been doing some playing and reading inbetween posting and I think I've cracked it, it was all the different plug-ins i had chomping away on the aux returns! DUH!
Bernard James
Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Yep, any latency inducing plugins on busses push the whole signal back to keep everything lined up.

You can use Logic's low latency mode, or turn PDC to "Instruments & tracks only" as a workaround if you need to reduce latency temporarily.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: E&MM Aug 86
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...