You are here

pre-post fader trouble

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

pre-post fader trouble

Postby RemoHead » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi guys,

I recently changed desks from an old behringer MX8000 to an equally old Soundcraft Digital 328XD

Im tracking into Protools 9 using a focusrite liquid 56 on my MacPro.

The issue i've got is with monitoring while recording, Im mostly using my liquid 56's pre's with a couple of channels from the desk.

each of the 328XD's input channels can be sent to an ADAT out directly and into my 56/protools via ADAT, so Mic one goes directly to ADAT one out etc etc up to channel 16.

Only problem is... these direct outs seem to be fixed to post fader, so when monitoring lets say my ride cymbal and room mics which are plugged in through the desk these sources are washing out the returns from Protools/Liquid 56 and screwing up my control room monitor mix, but being post fader if I bring down their channel fader I also reduce the recording level which I don't want to do - I track at 0VU and am very careful with my levels.

My 328XD has has 4 aux sends - one of which im using to feed headphone.

I thought maybe I could use a second Aux output with a Y shaped cable to feed my control room monitors but im not sure?

any help you or solutions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Remo
RemoHead
Regular

Re: pre-post fader trouble

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:55 pm

RemoHead wrote:Only problem is... these direct outs seem to be fixed to post fader

Yep, they are!

It sounds like you're bring the DAW outputs back in on separate input channels of the desk. You could bring the monitoring from your DAW back into the two-track return of the monitoring section and listen to it that way. That would then be a clean signal from the computer without being combined with the recording channels.

Alternatively, can you route the tracking channels to one stereo group, and the computer return channels to another stereo group... and then simply leave the tracking channele group closed?

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby RemoHead » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 pm

thanks a lot Hugh,

yes im taking my DAW's stereo outs back through the desk on the first pair of ADAT in's, so channels 17 & 18 on the desk, i'll explore the ADAT outs a bit more and see if I can route to the desks tape return digitally.

I have Protools set for separate playback & recording fader levels, when Im tracking i've been turning anything that is being fed into the desk down in tools so the only monitoring im having is of the direct signal as it is being feed through the desk - but im unable to control the levels of these channels as pulling the fader down ruins my carefully set levels in tools.

Routing the input channels to a muted group may be an option though - im guessing that the direct out will be sent prior to the routing to a group.

again, many thanks Hugh
RemoHead
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:15 pm

RemoHead wrote:Routing the input channels to a muted group may be an option though - im guessing that the direct out will be sent prior to the routing to a group.

Yes, and that way you could use the direct channel group fader to balance against material from the DAW via the other group, and without affecting your record levels at all.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby RemoHead » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:19 pm

great stuff, thanks Hugh, i'll give that a go!
RemoHead
Regular