You are here

Motu 828MKII USB & Win7 Question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Motu 828MKII USB & Win7 Question

Postby RemoHead » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi guys, Merry Christmas!!!

i've got a really annoying problem. I've been running my motu 828mkII USB interface on my mac happy as larry for a number of years, having just upgraded to a new interface I thought i'd take it home and put it on my PC and set up a small home studio using Reaper.

Im running win 7 ultimate 64 on a quad core 3.1 with 8 gig of ram and i've installed the latest motu drivers.

my problem is this... It doesn't Bl**dy work!

everything says its installed ok and is available to use but all I get is digital crackles, pops and glitches like i've got a mismatched sample rate somewhere but when I open the sound control panel everything seems to be set to 16bit 44.1khz as far as I can see, i've tried disabling my built in mic inputs and speaker outputs but I just get nothing!

I havent even attempted to set Reaper up yet!

Im hoping someone can help because im very shortly in danger of putting my fist through it!

thank you in advance!

Remo
RemoHead
Regular

Re: Motu 828MKII USB & Win7 Question

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:28 am

Bump.

I am interested because we seem to see/hear very litle about MOTU. Can't remember the last SoS review of the product?

The stuff is supposed to be good but it never seems to get a mention when matters such as converter quality, latency, driver stability or indeed, cross platform performance are discussed?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby RemoHead » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:57 pm

I've about given up on it, I just can't get it to work - I know its old technology now but the driver is modern enough and written for win 7 - Im gonna try a fresh install on clean partition and failing that just ditch it I think!
RemoHead
Regular

Postby John Reid » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:53 am

For what it's worth, I'm using the FireWire version of the 828 MkII on Windows 7x64 with no problems whatsoever as far as ASIO is concerned -- the only problem is with the mixer application (Cuemix FX, which is of course intended for the newer Mk3, but is supposed to work with the MkII nevertheless). The version I have installed is 4.0.4.8607.

The problem I'm having with Cuemix is that it doesn't load or save mixer configurations properly; however, I can live with that, annoying as it is, because I basically just need this as a stereo front-end and headphone amp, i.e. I don't need to switch between configurations very much.

I've always felt however that MOTU don't really care that much about Windows users ... a Mac bias evident also in other American products. I haven't bought any MOTU gear since the 828MkII, primarily based on my experience of poor Windows driver support (and none at all for Linux), but also their abysmal customer "support". The first unit I had didn't store the configuration on power-down and had to be set up from scratch every time it was powered on, but the guy in customer support insisted I had to "toggle the voltage selector" -- which would have blown the unit, seeing as I had 230V and not 110V AC as in the USA. The unit had to be eventually replaced.

I will probably ditch the Firewire connection and driver and just use this via ADAT into an RME anyway ... an option you might consider, if you have a free ADAT or S/PDIF port anywhere: freedom from the dependency on MOTU to produce drivers ... and possibly added Linux compatibility!

Having said all that, the audio quality of the device is flawless so I think the problem may be that the USB version of the 828MkII is just not a great choice on Windows .... due to the poor implementation of the USB interface both at the device end and the Windows driver end.
John Reid
Regular

Postby humandrums » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:10 pm

i had a similar prob with my mk2 but it was the firewire one and running on xp, i think one batch of drivers had a problem but im going back a long while now, ive got a mk3 now and never had a prob rock solid bit of kit.
humandrums
Regular

Postby RemoHead » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:43 pm

cheers for the replies guys, I've never had a problem really with the mac but the PC support is pretty pant, Im about to try a 32bit install of windows on a spare partition and failing that im just going to buy a cheap midi interface.

All i wanted to do was lay a 4 bar piano line down... on friday

cheers again guys and happy christmas n new year!
RemoHead
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 pm

"All i wanted to do was lay a 4 bar piano line down... on friday"

2496/Fast track pro> MIDI kbd, Forte Free.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Try going to Device Manager and steering Update Driver for the motu 828mkII manually to a folder containing the downloaded latest driver. With older gear (and particularly when Windows is only grudgingly supported, as seems to be the case with MOTU) here's often a correct order for installing the driver and plugging the device in. If you get it wrong, Windows can get confused about just what hardware it's looking at.

Also check you're connecting directly to the PC, not through a USB hub.

Is there anything else we should know about the computer setup?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby RemoHead » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:46 pm

and as if by magic.. it suddenly started working...

The only thing I did was opened up device manager and disabled both my internal soundcard and the motu, then I turned on my soundcard, followed by the motu and bingo, started working.

Just to prove the theory I booted into my clean 32bit windows install, repeated and it worked again.

Finally I booted back into my 64bit install and just fired up - all working fine.

So that may be a workaround if anyone in future finds this thread who has a similar issue.

Thanks a lot for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Remo.
RemoHead
Regular

Postby humandrums » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:21 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:Try going to Device Manager and steering Update Driver for the motu 828mkII manually to a folder containing the downloaded latest driver. With older gear (and particularly when Windows is only grudgingly supported, as seems to be the case with MOTU) here's often a correct order for installing the driver and plugging the device in. If you get it wrong, Windows can get confused about just what hardware it's looking at.

Also check you're connecting directly to the PC, not through a USB hub.

Is there anything else we should know about the computer setup?

never had a prob with windows and motu stuff apart from the one time a few years back when one set of drivers that got released were 'iffy' maybe im the lucky one who got the windows friendly motu setup? the mk3 stuff is far better than the mk 2 stuff imho defo worth considering the upgrade
humandrums
Regular