You are here

Can you record L and R onto separate tracks in Cubase 3

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Can you record L and R onto separate tracks in Cubase 3

Postby Sprakey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to record a friend of mine on Electro Accoustic Guitar, and he's suggested a Line-in and a room mic recording simultaneously. It's a technique I'm sure is used regularly for many instruments. Of course this is simple enough to accomplish using my analogue mixer, but would normally result in a single stereo track on the DAW (running Cubase 3). (My sound card has simple Left and Right analogue inputs). This means I'd have to ensure the balance between the two was perfect before writing the track.

Is there a way of recording two tracks in Cubase simultaneously, perhaps splitting the left and right channels of what would normally be a stereo input, say left for the Line-level signal and Right for Room Mic ?

I know I can achieve it on the mixer using two imputs and the pan controls, but on the DAW ?

Sorry if it's been covered before - I did search the forum first, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare the time to help.
Sprakey

Re: Can you record L and R onto separate tracks in Cubase 3

Postby Scramble » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:52 pm

If by Cubase 3 you mean Cubase 3 SX then it is easy enough to set up two separate tracks, one of which takes the soundcard's left input as its source and the other of which takes the soundcard's right input as its source. If you don't know how to do this then you'd better have a good sit down with the manual.

(If you are referring to some ancient version of Cubase VST then I can't be sure as I haven't used any Cubases that old, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't do the same sort of thing.)
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Scramble has it spot on. I'd just add that you'd need to create two *mono* tracks in Cubase, then select the left input as the source for one and the right for the other. It's depressing how often I see mono sources recorded to stereo tracks!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sprakey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 am

Thank you to both. It is Cubase 3SX I'm using, purchased about 8 years ago. So I'll dig out the manual.
Sprakey