You are here

drum recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

drum recording

Postby stephencribbie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:27 pm

So other than the obvious, "proper tuning" answer;
I was wondering if anyone had any techniques for reducing ring in the snare from the toms being hit.
Tuning the drums has got it most of the way there, and the ring is tolerable.
Just looking to improve,

Thanks for any help, have enjoyed this mag for years'
stephencribbie
New here

Re: drum recording

Postby paul tha other » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:59 pm

moongel is good..you can get it from most music shops......other than that its a tuning all the way for me then if i think it could be tamed a little more i put some moongel on it
paul tha other
Regular

Postby Guy Johnson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Tune the snare down?
Damping ring or pad for snare?
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Do you mean sympathetic rattle from the snare resonating as other elements are hit?

As you say you can try tuning the snare up or down until it is less excitable so to speak. But personally I wouldn't. It's debatable whether this behaviour is something you really want to get rid of. The rattle adds to the attack of the other drums and it's one of those things that makes a real kit sound better than samples. Furthermore, if you subscribe to the 'tune the drums to the song' approach, that will take precidence. If you subscribe to the 'tune to the shell' approach, equally that will take precidence too.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's a far greater issue when you have sustained instruments playing in the same room which are exciting the wires at certain frequencies.

Jack
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby stephencribbie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks Jack,
I never considered a possible benefit from that sort of bleed,
Ya, I was definitely looking to stop the actual metal snare from vibrating when toms are hit,
hopefully without tuning the snare too far from where I like it or too much dampening.
stephencribbie
New here

Postby Tartaruga » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 am

Hi
So,I’ll try to be clear,hum…
Locate the harmonic you hear in your snare,with your finger.Once you’ve found it,put a little bit of duct tape(a ‘little bit’),you’re done!That way,you preserve the rest of the snare sound.Same for the ‘toms’…
There are many different techniques,that’s the simplest one.
Cheers
Pedro
Tartaruga
Regular

Postby Tartaruga » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 am

Oh,and Jack has a point,don’t ‘kill’ your drum…
Cheers
Tartaruga
Regular

Postby Beat Poet » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:19 am

stephencribbie wrote:So other than the obvious, "proper tuning" answer;
I was wondering if anyone had any techniques for reducing ring in the snare from the toms being hit.
Just looking to improve,

Thanks for any help, have enjoyed this mag for years'

If you're talking about the snares ringing, could it be that you have the toms tuned too high? That's been a problem I've found, when they're tight and are "singing" in a similar range to the snare.
Beat Poet
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm

stephencribbie wrote:So other than the obvious, "proper tuning" answer;
Just looking to improve,

Good drummers often seem to have damping rings or strategically positioned bits of tape on their snare heads.

But be sure this is a real problem. Do you hear it when listening to the whole kit, the whole band even? Or just when getting over-analytical on individual tracks?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby p.dakin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:25 pm

or a teatowel over the whole skin works extremely well!

Colours optional
p.dakin
Regular

Postby Jack Ruston » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm

On a side note, re the tuning. There are of course many ways to skin a cat, and it'd be wrong to say that any approach is the only correct way. But for me, dampening to get rid of ugliness is an issue. What you're doing in that situation is hiding a problem that shouldn't really be there in the first place. Personally, I prefer to get the head and tuning set up so that there's as much pure resonance and sustain as possible. That ring should be pure and pleasing. If you then want less of it, you can dampen the drum in whatever way...tea towel, gels, rings, wallet, whatever. What you tend to find is that when that pure sustain sits in the track, it blends and vanishes, and you actually dont need so much, if any, dampening. But if it's ugly, then there seem to be two variants for me: Long and ugly, and short and ugly. I do appreciate that it takes time and sometimes money (new heads) to get there. And that's not always an option we have.

But that's just me. I've seen other people use different approaches to great effect.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster