You are here

USB mixer equivalent to Mackie Onyx

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

USB mixer equivalent to Mackie Onyx

Postby mjfe2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:52 am

I recommended the Mackie Onyx 1620I to a friend but now I'm not sure he has firewire. If I were to recommend a USB mixer instead, what compares in quality and features to the Mackie? It seems to be an undeveloped part of the market...
mjfe2
Frequent Poster

Re: USB mixer equivalent to Mackie Onyx

Postby grab » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 am

FW cards are dirt cheap. Easier to go that way than to limit your mixer/interface choice.

Yeah, most gear was designed a few years back when FW was still alive (indeed, the only option way back in USB1 days). New products are likely to come with USB, but they're not likely to come along until the manufacturers decide it's time to revamp their product lines; and there isn't much incentive for manufacturers to do that while their existing products are still selling OK.
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby mjfe2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:28 am

grab wrote:FW cards are dirt cheap. Easier to go that way than to limit your mixer/interface choice.

Yeah, most gear was designed a few years back when FW was still alive (indeed, the only option way back in USB1 days). New products are likely to come with USB, but they're not likely to come along until the manufacturers decide it's time to revamp their product lines; and there isn't much incentive for manufacturers to do that while their existing products are still selling OK.

His computer is an early Macbook Pro with no firewire so I'm not sure if there is a way to expand? Anyway, given he's not very technically minded, I'm wondering if a simple stereo USB mixer (e.g. Allen & Heath Zed, Mackie Profx) might actually be more productive?
mjfe2
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:44 pm

mjfe2 wrote:
His computer is an early Macbook Pro with no firewire so I'm not sure if there is a way to expand? Anyway, given he's not very technically minded, I'm wondering if a simple stereo USB mixer (e.g. Allen & Heath Zed, Mackie Profx) might actually be more productive?

So what do you want? 16-channel multitrack into the computer or a stereo mix into the computer? Two different tools for two quite different jobs.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby twotoedsloth » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm pretty sure the only Macbook model without firewire is the Macbook Air. Thunderbolt to Firewire converters were supposed to arrive on the market in Q2 2011... but of course, we're still waiting.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeraldo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 am

There was a short time when Apple did some Intel FW-less MacBooks. The OP's friend must have one of those.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby Wease » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:16 am

the focusrite scarlett range offers USB2 intergration - as does the new RME UCX (reviewed in this issue of SOS)
The RME is expensive tho......but knowing RME will be very good....the focusrite models are cheaper

I've used both companies (although not these models - using a focusrite sapphire 10/10 now, used an RME pci card before) and got good results from both...

you need to stipulate a budget and an in/out requirement

you'll miss the 'desk' feel of the mackie - with the eq and faders - although both rme and focusrite products come with some form of 'virtual' desk....it really depends on what your mate wants to do....

(i would have recommended the allen and heath zedr16 over the mackie anyway.... )
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby Guy Johnson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:29 am

Make sure the Firewire converter card is compatible with the Mackie or any other interface, I bought one when the FW went west on a — and it didn't work with my RME Fireface 800. But it did work for transferring files, etc.
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby 21stcenturykid » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:08 pm

mjfe2 wrote:
grab wrote:FW cards are dirt cheap. Easier to go that way than to limit your mixer/interface choice.

I've got the first gen MBP and it definitely has FW! If not, has it got the express card slot? You could get a FW expansion card for the slot. They aren't expensive at all.
21stcenturykid
Poster