You are here

QP6200/Hugh used one in Cheltenham

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

QP6200/Hugh used one in Cheltenham

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 am

Hi...is this ok...to speak to Hugh directly?

Your article: Recording A Choir On Location, Part 1 SOS september 1999. specifically the QP6200 boom.

i understand theres a 3/8" thread at the end of the pole....do you think i can attach a stereo bar to place my beyer mc930's or akg c414's in ortf/xy....i sort of imagine a device/bracket/adjuster that needs to go in between my bar and the end of the pole? do you see what i mean? so it can be orientated correctly, regardless of ultimate stand/boom orientation.

also, i guess you attached xlr cable as you wound out the pole?

cheers
steve

Re: QP6200/Hugh used one in Cheltenham

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 am

You could mount a stereo bar directly on the pole, but I find it is easier to use Ambient's 'hanger' from the boom arm itself (I attach it with a quick release bracket), and then mount the stereo bar and mics on that.

That way, I can sort out the vertical and horizontal angles of the mics at ground level knowing they will be the same when raised because the bar will always be level thanks to the hanger.

The quicklock and vertical swivels are shown on this webpage:

http://www.ambient.de/en/produkte/ambient-recording/tonangeln/zubehoer.html

And yes, I tape the cables at each boom pole joint

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:20 pm

great thank you......now..to bite the bullet or not bite the bullet.

Postby Mike Senior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 pm

sabletones wrote:i sort of imagine a device/bracket/adjuster that needs to go in between my bar and the end of the pole? do you see what i mean? so it can be orientated correctly, regardless of ultimate stand/boom orientation.

I might be misunderstanding you on this one, but I've found this little K&M widget quite useful for orientating a stereo bar on the end long boom stands:

K&M Universal Joint
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:06 pm

i've already placed order for my 'ambient swivel' joint...but this little gizmo looks useful also, thanks for posting.
My daughters friend looked at the QP6200 and then the price and then said..."cant you just use a stick?"...
cheers

Postby Jeraldo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Mike Senior wrote:

I might be misunderstanding you on this one, but I've found this little K&M widget quite useful for orientating a stereo bar on the end long boom stands:

K&M Universal Joint

I didn't know this existed! Something I've wanted for a very long time. Thanks.

Congrats to the OP on getting the Ambient system!

Edit: Finding the K&M product very difficult to locate (over here). I'll look further on Monday.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You could mount a stereo bar directly on the pole, but I find it is easier to use Ambient's 'hanger' from the boom arm itself (I attach it with a quick release bracket), and then mount the stereo bar and mics on that.

That way, I can sort out the vertical and horizontal angles of the mics at ground level knowing they will be the same when raised because the bar will always be level thanks to the hanger.

The quicklock and vertical swivels are shown on this webpage:

http://www.ambient.de/en/produkte/ambient-recording/tonangel...

And yes, I tape the cables at each boom pole joint

Hugh

You mean this:-

That "hanger" is great as it always hangs vertical.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 am

Actually it doesn't... but what it does do -- and it is a very useful feature -- is to make sure that the centre of gravity of the mic or array attached to the bottom of it hangs directly under the pivot point!

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound