You are here

Portable Recorders

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Portable Recorders

Postby neil.a . a.lien » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm going to buy a portable recorder soon for practice room and live use. Mostly rock band stuff.

I have about £150 but would maybe stretch a bit further if it was worth it.

I've used zoom ones in the past but have that general snobbishness about zoom most people have!

Stereo would be best too.

Any suggestions?
neil.a . a.lien
Poster

Re: Portable Recorders

Postby akkk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:15 pm

akkk
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:21 pm

neil.a . a.lien wrote:I've used zoom ones in the past but have that general snobbishness about zoom most people have!
Rise above the snobbishness, I say! The H4N is actually a very good tool, and capable of professional results in the right context - though your stated budget will struggle to pull one in.

This subject comes up often, so try a couple of forum searches. For example there's THIS new thread about much the same subject.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby akkk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:10 pm

check for yourself, clearly the best, h4 is all over the place compared to the focus of mr2 so no snobbishnes there elf :)
akkk
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:10 pm

akkk wrote:check for yourself, clearly the best, h4 is all over the place compared to the focus of mr2 so no snobbishnes there elf :)
It all depends what your definition of 'best' is doesn't it?

Whilst the Korg does have an impressive set of storage formats and qualities, 'best' is an amalgam of many things. And your criteria for 'best' will be different to mine.

Anyway, the OP wants to spend £150-ish so neither suggestion meets his 'best' criteria.

OP: take Elf's advice and have a look at the other thread he's suggested.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:26 pm

The Elf wrote:
neil.a . a.lien wrote:I've used zoom ones in the past but have that general snobbishness about zoom most people have!
Rise above the snobbishness, I say! The H4N is actually a very good tool, and capable of professional results in the right context

I've not experienced this snobbishness Neil - and I really like my Zoom H4n as well :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode