You are here

bad mics?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

bad mics?

Postby RAWNUM83RZ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Is there a thread or forum that talks about how to identify a bad mic or what a good mic should sound like of the qualities of them both because I understand that it depends on the sound that your looking for but Im confused on how to tell-if that makes sense. Please advise.
Thanks
RAWNUM83RZ
Poster

Re: bad mics?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:39 pm

RAWNUM83RZ wrote:Is there a thread or forum that talks about...

You've just started one!

I understand that it depends on the sound that your looking for but Im confused on how to tell-if that makes sense.

Good and bad are entirely subjective terms. A good mic to one person might be one that captures the source with total accuracy... but someone else might think that is too sterile or flat, and might prefer a mic that flatters the source, or makes it sound larger, richer of fuller, for example.

Different mics have differnt characteristics, and the skill and art of recording sound is choosing nad placing mics in such a way that they deliver the kind oif sound you are after... whatever that may be.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby RAWNUM83RZ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks Hugh, Wow didn't expect to hear directly from you... but now that I have you I would like to pick your brain for a while on this thread. So there is no such thing as a "bad mic" then I mean there should be no reason to throw a mic or any mic away?>>>right. And what I'm getting from what you are saying is that it's just the placement of the mic to find the particular sound that you want. Does this apply even in the vocal booth? Also I've noticed, well on all the mics I have, that its has 2 switches on it- 1 that looks like it cuts off the low frequencies and 1 that looks like it knocks off about 10dbs of volume-Am I reading this correctly?
RAWNUM83RZ
Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Whilst there are not intrinsically bad and good mics, it's possible to have a mic which is faulty or does not live up to its published specifications, but I don't think you're talking about that! So as Hugh implies its to do with bad and good choices!

The low cut filter indeed attenuates low frequencies (check the specifications for details) which can counter the proximity effect, the increased low frequencies when working a microphone closely, or can simply be used for filtering out unwanted rumble and pops.

The pad can be used if you are recording a loud source and this attenuates all frequencies by the specified amount.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:36 am

You have more to worry about replicas and poorly constructed imported mics than tech specs.

Apart from that, it can come down to technical details but unless you know what to look for it can be confusing. My suggestion is to get a roundup of mics and read Sos reviews on them. That way you get a professional opinion as opposed to a purely subjective one.
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses

Postby whis4ey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 am

and buy from a known and respected source?
whis4ey
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:32 am

Some "bad" mics are used creatively; check the Beastie Boys as they use a cheapo mike for their distorted vocals. I can't think what the mic is off of the top of my head.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby grab » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 am

And of course then there's the "lo-fi" thing. Some folks will record with a nice mic and mangle the results, but others will use a technically-lower-quality mic and get the results they want at source. There was an SoS article about recording the Dap-Kings for Amy Winehouse which is worth a read there. (No time to dig out the link, but I'm sure you'll find it by searching SoS articles.)

(Edit: Richie just said the same thing.)

Also for stage mics, cheap imitations may sound just as good as the originals. Mainly you'd notice the difference by things like handling noise and robustness. I have a couple of £10 Maplins mics which sound astonishingly like SM57s. They have appalling handling noise, but put them on a stand and they're perfectly good instrument mics.
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby Tartaruga » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 am

Hi
I’ve record for Mario Caldato Jr,and talked about that with him…Their main mic is the SM47…Even if he has a better choice.
But there’s a 47 always around,or with,just in case…
I’m saying that because we were recording in a prestigious studio(lots of 'top of the line' and also old mics,like Telefunken,RCA,Newmann,Schoeps,etc),and yet,the 47 was always his first choice(!)
Cheers!
Tartaruga
Regular

Postby Tartaruga » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 am

Sorry,I forgot…
He told me that there is a Beastie Boys record(don’t remember which one),that was made strictly with 47’s…
He told me he likes this mic because he knows it very well,and knows what he can obtain from it.It’s he’s ‘go to war’ mic...
Yol!
Tartaruga
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 am

Tartaruga wrote: Their main mic is the SM47

Never heard of it. What's an SM47?

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:25 am

I read it in this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_the_Technique:_Liner_Notes_for_Hip-Hop_Junkies

Which interviews them and they say what mic it was. The album covered is "Check Your Head."
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Tartaruga wrote: Their main mic is the SM47

Never heard of it. What's an SM47?

hugh

I presumed he was referring to an SM7? Maybe it was an SM48 or 57?
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Tartaruga » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Oh,sorry Hugh…
Yes I mean 57…sorry...
Tartaruga
Regular

Postby RAWNUM83RZ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:51 pm

The pad can be used if you are recording a loud source and this attenuates all frequencies by the specified amount.

Pads? What Pads are you referring to?
RAWNUM83RZ
Poster

Postby RAWNUM83RZ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Also Another question about mics? I have 4 an MK 319, AKG c 3000, an AT2035, and an AKG C1000, I pretty much guess that the letters are usually the manufacturer but what are the numbers? and are there any articles on this particular mics?
RAWNUM83RZ
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:03 pm

RAWNUM83RZ wrote:Pads? What Pads are you referring to?

The one you mentioned:

RAWNUM83RZ wrote:...on all the mics I have, that its has 2 switches on it- 1 that looks like it cuts off the low frequencies and 1 that looks like it knocks off about 10dbs of volume-Am I reading this correctly?

A facility on a microphone that reduces or attenuates the level by a certain amount -- typically 10dB -- is often called 'a pad'.

You normally only find attenuation or pads on capacitor and electret mics, and it's there to prevent the impednace conversion stage from being overloaded if the mic is placed close to a very loud source.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:06 pm

RAWNUM83RZ wrote:Also Another question about mics? I have 4 an MK 319, AKG c 3000, an AT2035, and an AKG C1000, I pretty much guess that the letters are usually the manufacturer but what are the numbers? and are there any articles on this particular mics?

The numbers are essentially random, although they can be used to denote specific series of related mics. Audio Technica has the 200 series, the 300 series and the 400 series, or example. The letters normally relate either to the manufacturer or a sepcific mic range or series.

For example, AKG preface all moving coil mics with D for dynamic (as in D202), and all capacitor mics with C (as in C3000). Beyer dynamic use M for moving coil (dynamic) mics (as in M201)... and so on.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby RAWNUM83RZ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Oh ok thanks so much Hugh -Is there something I can do to help this site along besides refer ppl. to the site. This site has helped me in tremendous ways especially since I'm self taught and I feel like I owe you guys something?!!!! Anything I can do I will!! This site is the best I wish I would have known about this sooner.
RAWNUM83RZ
Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:42 am

Richie Royale wrote:I read it in this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_the_Technique:_Liner_Notes_for_Hip-Hop_Junkies

Which interviews them and they say what mic it was. The album covered is "Check Your Head."

I had a check last night and they aren't specific as to what mic it was, but it says that at the time they had two studios and in the B studio they were using a karaoke mic which had some effects on it and they found they liked the sound of it so wound up using it on the vocals. Mario C said “We never really used a good
microphone on that album [Check Your Head]". I expect the mic was something from Radio Shack and this book seems to confirm that.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=s6AJ73sxyUMC&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=karaoke+mic+radio+shack+beastie+boys&source=bl&ots=FQuZduv57p&sig=id7nk8xJekvX8Lc328Wsy734cRE&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

I can't find it in the preview available, but it came up in the google search.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:06 am

RAWNUM83RZ wrote:Is there something I can do to help this site along besides refer ppl. to the site.

Yes, you could make your cheque payable to ... No, seriously, just let people know about these forums. Thanks for your support.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 am

RAWNUM83RZ wrote:Oh ok thanks so much Hugh -Is there something I can do to help this site along besides refer ppl. to the site.

Buy the magazine perhaps? I've kept most of the SOS mags that I've bought right back to the mid '80's.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk