You are here

Enough is enough

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Enough is enough

Postby pa28 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Following on from my woe's with my new and expensive Saffire Pro 40 I have now given up. It has beaten me. I thought I knew about technology until i bought this, I can record with it I can listen with it, what I Can't do is get any external effects to work without either nothing or horrendous feedback which has done my tinnitus no good at all. I have the connections setup correctly and cannot get satisfactory results as I turn the gains up in the returns (Why should I have to?) it feeds back. I have tried and tried with the awful software and now it has to go. Why oh why didn't I get the M-Audio Delta 1010 as was a choice to replace my 2 Delta 66 cards that worked perfectly. All I wanted was a couple more pre's and the nice tidy set up of a rack unit and all connections into a patchbay. M-Audio here we come. My Delta 66 is now back in service again until Delta 1010 is acquired (I knew it was good idea not to remove it)
Rant now off & soapbox put away.
pa28
Regular

Re: Enough is enough

Postby Jonny DiBergi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:00 pm

RTFM...
Jonny DiBergi
Regular

Postby Guy Johnson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:02 pm

I think we can assume he has :roll:
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby Mixedup » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:16 pm

OP... Um, yes, these things do often seem like they're sent to try us. Thing is, that *is* a very decent interface for the price. The mic amps are better than you'll get on anything else for the same price/spec. Either it's faulty, or you're failing for whatever reason to get your head around it.

Are you UK based? Had you thought about applying for a Studio SOS visit?
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby pa28 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Sorry chaps must be really thick here, "RTMF" you will have to explain what you assume I have done? :? :?
pa28
Regular

Postby Gary_W » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Have you tried the Focusrite helpline? UK based and very clued up folks there IME....

I have the 24, but I don't use outboard hence me not knowing the answer to your problems. I agree that the mixers are a tad obtuse but the products themselves are very good.
Gary_W
Regular

Postby pa28 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Post crossed here. The unit is not faulty (the first one was, (no h/phone output) your right I cant get my head around the mixer/router. I have vented my splean and other organs to Focusrite hoping for an answer even if it makes me "fick", I really would like to keep it but.......
pa28
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:25 pm

pa28 wrote:Sorry chaps must be really thick here, "RTMF" you will have to explain what you assume I have done? :? :?

RTFM translates as "Read The Flipping Manual"... or words to a similar effect!

As others have said, the Saffire is a fine interface, and like everyone else, I'm at a loss as to why you can't achieve what you're trying to achieve. It is more than likely to be a finger-trouble problem rather than a design limitation, but I realise you have tried hard to make this work and I can appreciate your frustration.

The Focusrite helpline is normally very good. Have you tried that approach? Failing that, it might indeed be possible to arrange the great PW to beat it into submission...

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby pa28 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Probably brain trouble more than fingers. My problem is I have set up connections in Cubase 5 to feed an external device. (Yamaha Magicstomp with EFTP) this is a mono input, stereo output device. I have setup the "External FX" connections in Cubase thus:- Send mono: Line output 3, return Stereo line inputs 5&6. I have to increase the gains on inputs 5&6 and as soon as I do they all hit red and blow my ears out I have tried all combinations of "daw tracking" Zero latency etc and pushing every button there is to push.

I have read the manual from cover to cover and nothng explains it to me, that is. Apart from ext FX I just ingore the bloody software and just use it. But I want to use all my external gear as that is my want, and I cant. Somebody out there must use this kit with external gear? surely.
pa28
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm

pa28 wrote:I have setup the "External FX" connections in Cubase thus:- Send mono: Line output 3, return Stereo line inputs 5&6. I have to increase the gains on inputs 5&6 and as soon as I do they all hit red and blow my ears out I have tried all combinations of "daw tracking" Zero latency etc and pushing every button there is to push.

The implication is that inputs 5 and 6 are somehow getting routed back to output 3. Are you certain physical output 3 is ONLY receiving the direct channel send in cubase? Could this be related to the interface's internal zero-latency monitoring arrangements?

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby pa28 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Hugh, no I'm not sure but it is plausible. It's getting late in the day now and my brain hurts so Red Wine is the only solution now, back to the problem tomorrow, Thanks for some input.
pa28
Regular

Postby Persuazion » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

pa28 wrote:Hugh, no I'm not sure but it is plausible. It's getting late in the day now and my brain hurts so Red Wine is the only solution now, back to the problem tomorrow, Thanks for some input.

I think you're only a few more posts away from a Eureka moment. Stick at it!
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Postby ronmac » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 pm

pa28 wrote: It's getting late in the day now and my brain hurts so Red Wine is the only solution now, back to the problem tomorrow, Thanks for some input.

I have never once heard technical support from any company offer this as a solution to a complex problem. :) Pity, as it often takes a bit of R&R to clear one's mind and allow it to face the challenge another day.
ronmac
Regular

Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby Zukan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:41 am

pa28, I know you're in London but which part? If I can find the time I'll try and come and give you a hand. Otherwise, drink a few bottles of red wine and RTFM.

Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am

ronmac wrote:
I have never once heard technical support from any company offer this as a solution to a complex problem. :)

Of course you haven't.

Everyone knows that the only way to solve such a complex problem is through the downing of a large glass or two of a nice single malt.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby andy cross » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:42 am

I wonder if the problem is that you're monitoring both through Cubase and through the Saffire MixControl.

My set-up with a Pro24 is that the input channels are all muted in Saffire MixControl - ie the red "M"s at the bottom of the input channel faders are all lit. Monitoring is then handled from within the DAW. I've not tried sending out to hardware and returning the signal back, but I'm pretty sure I could do it without touching Saffire MixControl.
andy cross
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 pm

andy cross wrote:I wonder if the problem is that you're monitoring both through Cubase and through the Saffire MixControl.

My set-up with a Pro24 is that the input channels are all muted in Saffire MixControl - ie the red "M"s at the bottom of the input channel faders are all lit. Monitoring is then handled from within the DAW. I've not tried sending out to hardware and returning the signal back, but I'm pretty sure I could do it without touching Saffire MixControl.

+1 for that

I don't use that particular setup, but have ADATi/o going to a digital mixer and there is one of the settings, (never remember which) that does result in me getting screaming feedback, I went to the software mixer panel and sorted it there.

To the OP, I noted your point about the 1010, I had that setup, 1 1010 and 2 1010 lites, so I had 24i/o going through an analogue desk - worked like a dream it did, even though the 1010's have been about for eons now, I'd have thought M-Audio would have retired it, but then again - if it works, why ditch it?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby pa28 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Definitely Red wine works better than Scotch.

I have brought the Pro 40 back into service today and worked on the suggestion from Hugh RE 5&6 being fed back to out 3 This does seem to be whats happening as when the pro 40 was trying to destroy whats left of my hearing again, I muted output 3 and all went quiet apart from the ringing in my ears.

I am v..e..r..y.. slowly getting it to do what I want. I think the main problem is that my guitar input (channel 2 in Cubase is routed as normal (or normal for my Delta 66) to the main outs (was Delta 1+2) I now see in the Saffire router that DAW1 is also being routed to out 3. Ie the left side of the whole mix is being sent out to my external FX. I have selected DAW 3 and all is working as should, But I can't work out why I have to do this, as I said maybe I am too locked into simple interfaces that work logically?

For all those who offered to spend time and help me thanks for that.

Anyway thanks for all those who have put up with my woes's I am still not 100% happy with the way it's working but at least I am getting somewhere albeit slowly.
pa28
Regular