You are here

Pro Tools session export to Reaper question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Pro Tools session export to Reaper question

Postby Ralph Wilson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi there,

apologies in advance for the dumb question. We (an amateur rock band) had a day's recording at a professional studio 6 weeks ago. Without boring you with the story, it now appears that we will be given the individual instrument tracks from the session rather than the two songs mixed and mastered.

The session was recorded in Pro Tools, and the only system we have to mix on is a Reaper system. I have no experience with PT or access to a PT system. What format should I ask the studio to provide the tracks as (presumably some kind of .wav) to ease the import into Reaper or for ease of transfer to another studio for mixing/mastering? I have a little experience of recording/mixing although I am primarily a musician. I've got a few years back issues of SOS to help too!

thanks in advance,

Ralph
Ralph Wilson
Poster

Re: Pro Tools session export to Reaper question

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:14 pm

I have a similar dilemma at the moment, looking to transfer from Logic to Reaper. It's a genuine problem discussed in all kinds of places and certainly not a dumb question.

It depends to some extent on how your session went. If for instance you all went in, pressed record and played together then just get files WAV or AIFF and line them up side by side.

If you did many takes starting and ending halfway through the song you might have multiple versions to line up, this is ok if you recorded to a click, otherwise you're relying on the way pt stamps the files of which I am unfortunately unversed but someone here can put us both straight.

It'll be fairly straightforward if you approach it systematically. Keep us posted.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

People with black cats shouldn't get black stair carpet.

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:07 am

All you need is an export of all the audio tracks for the full-length of the song (even if they only have audio on them for a few seconds in the middle 8) from a common starting position. That way they will all line up and you can import them into any DAW you like.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:17 am

The Elf wrote:All you need is an export of all the audio tracks for the full-length of the song (even if they only have audio on them for a few seconds in the middle 8) from a common starting position. That way they will all line up and you can import them into any DAW you like.

The key commands in PT to doing that are edit - consolidate region. All marked files will now become one length and all silences will be filled.

Failing that, insist on so-called 'Broadcast Wave' files that carry their time stamp within the file data. (I don't do the ProTools at our place, but I believe PT reads and writes time-stamps with the command 'spot on import' and 'spot on export.'

When importing into Reaper, after importing onto separate tracks, the files will all be jammed up against the left and all will be activated. Now right-click mouse, 'Item Processing' and hit the 'Move items to source preferred position' command. All tracks (if exported correctly) will now appear as they did on the PT session.

It is a good idea to ask the studio to name the tracks with a number, as well as the instrument - 01kick.wav 02snare.wav and so on, so that they automatically slot into the right place and are easier to find.

Accept WAV - NOTHING ELSE! If we ever have problems, it is because some Herbert has decided to use an obscure or out-dated file format.

If in doubt, ask the studio to export some bogus wav files to a CD and take a laptop with you and import into Reaper there and then. That way, you will know for certain that all will be well!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:37 am

In theory the spotting thing should work, but it only takes an error in labelling or a weird time code start time or whatever to make the whole thing extremely confusing and time consuming. Not to mention the fact that you lose the fades etc. I'd insist on consolidated regions from 1/1/000. It's simple and bullet proof.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:51 am

Jack Ruston wrote:In theory the spotting thing should work, but it only takes an error in labelling or a weird time code start time or whatever to make the whole thing extremely confusing and time consuming. Not to mention the fact that you lose the fades etc. I'd insist on consolidated regions from 1/1/000. It's simple and bullet proof.

J
Yup, this would be my experience also.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 am

Yes, in Cubase I've pretty much always been lucky in importing PT data using the 'Move to Origin' option, but consolidated full-length wav files are the safe 'always work' option.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:37 am

Well what if they give you a vocal comp with thirty files. You'll spend half the day messing around with it. J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:38 am

If all else fails, there's always AATranslator

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 am

Jack Ruston wrote:Well what if they give you a vocal comp with thirty files. You'll spend half the day messing around with it.
Import 30 wav files into new Cubase project, select them all, right-click, 'Move to Origin' - job done! This pretty much always works for me.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

They'll all be on different tracks and you'd have to place them and redo the fades. It's a bit of a pain since it takes a second to consolidate, no?
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:49 am

Agreed that consolidate is the easiest option. All I'm saying is if you don't get consolidated data from whoever is sending you the audio then it's not necessarily the end of the world - at least as far as getting the audio aligned. The rest needs re-work as you say. But many is the time I've been glad of the opportunity to re-do the comping!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Ralph Wilson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:22 am

Hi All,

thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. There were multiple vocal takes (though not 30!). I'm still holding out hope that the tracks will be mixed for us.

cheers

Ralph
Ralph Wilson
Poster

Postby Runaway » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Moving consolidated tracks as wav files is always the easiest and cheapest way of moving to another daw. Unfortunately, this forces you to make a decision to commit those takes permanently and lose the flexibility of making changes later on.
Fades, autmation and possibly poor drop-ins, edits etc can no longer be 'undone'.

This may or may not be an issue - it depends on your circumstances.

I would certainly take a copy of the entire session 'as is' and then grab the rendered wavs as well.

If you want to email me (via the aatranslator web site) your ptf (provided it is PT9 or earlier) I will gladly convert it to Reaper for you - then you have all the bases covered.
Runaway
Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:19 pm

shufflebeat wrote:I have a similar dilemma at the moment, looking to transfer from Logic to Reaper. It's a genuine problem discussed in all kinds of places and certainly not a dumb question.

It depends to some extent on how your session went. If for instance you all went in, pressed record and played together then just get files WAV or AIFF and line them up side by side.

If you did many takes starting and ending halfway through the song you might have multiple versions to line up, this is ok if you recorded to a click, otherwise you're relying on the way pt stamps the files of which I am unfortunately unversed but someone here can put us both straight.

It'll be fairly straightforward if you approach it systematically. Keep us posted.

Logic has an option to bounce all individual tracks, just set the start and end markers and bounce.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Cheers, GD.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

People with black cats shouldn't get black stair carpet.