You are here

which 4-way surge protector?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

which 4-way surge protector?

Postby mjfe2 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:38 pm

About to buy a 4-way mains splitter for a rack unit and thought I might as well get one that's also a surge protector. They go as cheap as a fiver on ebay -- will these do the job or do I need to look out for particular brands/specs?
mjfe2
Frequent Poster

Re: which 4-way surge protector?

Postby chris... » Sat May 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Not sure I'd bother.

Do you live somewhere with dodgy power ?

AIUI, many/most cheap "surge protectors" protect against (at most) one surge, and give no indication this has happened.

But I could be wrong.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat May 05, 2012 7:53 pm

chris... wrote:Not sure I'd bother.

Do you live somewhere with dodgy power ?

AIUI, many/most cheap "surge protectors" protect against (at most) one surge, and give no indication this has happened.

But I could be wrong.
Nope! One strike and out. If you're lucky you have the little green light which doesn't light any more once the surge protect has been activated.

As you say Chris, I wouldn't bother...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby mjfe2 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 am

I should add that I'll be using this rack case for location recording, so I'll be changing power supplies regularly. Does that change things? Also, if there's no surge protector at all, doesn't that mean the equipment is always at risk, or do the fuses in each of the mains plugs provide ample protection?
mjfe2
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 am

I am with the others, would not bother.

You should not need a surge protector in UK. If they do any good at all it would be when connected to the device causing the spikes, e.g. a big fridge. MWave ovens have very serious mains filtering and spike suppression to keep the ****from getting out!

Then,"mains conditioners" often have a wrong filter capacitor configuration which pumps mains borne crap into your local earth line.

Lastly, what else is going in the rack with the diss box? You might have some fun with earth loops as the various chassis link earths.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon May 07, 2012 9:43 am

A surge protection power strip may save you from equipment damage if the power line is struck by lightning, though I'd expect there to be other, and better, protection further upline - we're pretty good at that sort of thing in the U.K. But the only power strips I've ever had to throw away were protected ones that had deteriorated.

I have a wooden box with 13-amp sockets, one with a ground tester permanently plugged in, plus a small "consumer unit" with RCD and main switch. The 5m input cable is wired in, and has its own storage space. It cost nearly £100 in parts, quite a few years ago. It's the first thing to be set up on any outside job, and has been worth its weight in gold. Health & Safety drones tend to look at it then shut up too!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.