You are here

car speaker rumble - what frequency??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

car speaker rumble - what frequency??

Postby Wease » Fri May 11, 2012 8:24 pm

ok - so we're mixing the new ep and everything is fine and dandy -

coming to the end of one song and decide to burn a cd for the car (to check the mix in the old fashion way)

and the speakers are rattling like [ ****** ] on the bass line

what's the freqency (kenneth) that causes this and should i mix that frequency out

I want the songs to sound like i mixed them in the (ahem) "studio" but the old bird (s reg ford mondeo estate- the finest of motors!) speakers are rattling like a (insert favorite lady of the night undergarment simile here) - what am i doing wrong? - it's just the bass line thats rattling...
Wease
Frequent Poster

Re: car speaker rumble - what frequency??

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi Wease!

It's difficult to tell without listening, but I suspect you might have a car stereo system with a large and somewhat overblown bottom end, and a mix that's been created on nearfield loudspeakers with more modest lows. Thus you're not hearing the offending frequencies until you get in the car

Alternatively, a little multiband compression might tame excess low-end dynamics.

Yet another alternative is that it's just your car stereo system that rattles at some frequencies, and nothing to do with your mix

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby chris... » Fri May 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Martin Walker wrote:your car stereo system that rattles at some frequencies

That seems likely, especially if it's the orig factory fitted "sound" system.

The frequencies of the rattles will likely be specific to your car. So you'd need to make your own measurements to determine the frequencies. Burn a test CD with sine wave noises at a number of (known) frequencies, and see which make it rattle.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Wease » Sat May 12, 2012 10:09 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Wease!

It's difficult to tell without listening, but I suspect you might have a car stereo system with a large and somewhat overblown bottom end, and a mix that's been created on nearfield loudspeakers with more modest lows. Thus you're not hearing the offending frequencies until you get in the car ...

i think thats exactly the issue.....i've just cut (filtered with logic's eq) everything below 10(ish) Khz(is that right?) with a 48octave filter thingy (lowpass or highpass - i never remember which one it is!) which hasn't effected the sound on my nearfields - hoping that solves the issue somewhat.

It's unusual because the bass drum (which is quite pumping in a good way - a first for me, and something i'm quite chuffed about ) isn't rattling anything....just sweetly banging away....!

low end rumble eh.......the bain of the small project studio and bad drummer mixer
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 am

Hi Wease!

I suspect you mean 10Hz rather than 10kHz

Oh, and you could probably increase that to 30Hz without causing any real problems to your mixes.

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 15, 2012 10:59 am

That's one of the good things about NS10's - the white cone/black surround made it easy to see when there was too much bass.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Mixedup » Tue May 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Wease!

I suspect you mean 10Hz rather than 10kHz

Oh, and you could probably increase that to 30Hz without causing any real problems to your mixes.

Martin

+1. I can't really hear very low bass from my system in my room, so I generally slap a 30Hz high-pass filter at the top of the mix bus channel as a safety (often on group busses as well, as the LF energy can affect some processors), and usually also collapse frequencies below 60-100Hz on the mix bus to mono so that the LF energy is equally distributed across the speakers whatever the system. And will often use a frequency analyser just to check that there's nothing untoward happening as well (the low end will always look 'bigger' but it's specific notes/resonances you're on the lookout for).
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Wease » Tue May 15, 2012 3:14 pm

thanks for the replies guys

I'll try the 30Hz (not kHz - duh!) filter

it's really just the bass line - kinda really sticks out! -

I'll also try on the mix buss - and may even do it on the drums buss - i usually don't buss the bass tho....

I did look at logic's own metering things - and didn't see any really big spikes in any unusual areas.....
Wease
Frequent Poster