You are here

Slowly Learning Reason

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Slowly Learning Reason

Postby Julian Walker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Hello Folks

Picked up Reason 4 after a long spell apart and I'm learning the ropes again.

I was going through a few of the tutorials from SOS and chanced upon one explaining side chain compression. That sounds like a good trick I trhought so I followed the steps and got to the bit with the Thor where we were to use a Fact Snd Bnk Thor sequenced patch called 3 Stepper Bass. I loaded it up and opened the programmer as per instruction and pressed RUN. All good but when I press play in the transport panel, no Thor? I then noticed that some of the Thor patches in the FSB had Seq after them and some Run, whats the difference and how do I get the bass I'm trying to use to play with the track.

I used Reason 3 a bit before which didn't have the Thor so i'm new to it, I'm probably jumping ahead of myself but it's buggin me!

Any explanation gratefully received and feel free to call me an arse if i'm being plain stupid!

Jules
Julian Walker
Regular

Re: Slowly Learning Reason

Postby Julian Walker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 am

Yes I have realised this should really have been in Mac/PC Music, apologies!
Julian Walker
Regular

Re: Slowly Learning Reason

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:54 am

Julian Walker wrote:I loaded it up and opened the programmer as per instruction and pressed RUN. All good but when I press play in the transport panel, no Thor?

Know nothing about Reason, but until someone else comes along...

Starting with the Thor, I chose a preset FSB patch called '3-Stepper Bass'. This is the first patch in the Thor/Sequenced folder. You'll need to open Thor's control panel by pressing the 'Show Programmer' button; then you can hit the 'Run' button on the built-in sequencer to hear the bass line.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a ... h_0908.htm

Sound to me like they're auditioning the Thor patch by using a Run button within Thor rather than Play in the transport panel. With arpeggiated patches you're going to need to sequence up some notes to trigger the arps before you can expect to hear it from the transport, n'est-ce pas...?
BJG145
Frequent Poster