You are here

midi latency question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

midi latency question

Postby Kevbo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 am

Hi, I do some lo-fi recording and I'm new to midi, so this is probably an extremely basic question. I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine and an Alesis Micron keyboard. I want to sync the arpeggiator on the keyboard to the drum muchine, so I have the midi out from the drum machine connected to the midi in on the keyboard. The arpeggiator is synced to the drum machine, but there is a definite and noticeable latency. Is there a way to get rid of this latency? Do I need to also have the midi out from the keyboard going back into the drum machine?
Kevbo

Re: midi latency question

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 am

Some MIDI clocks are better than others I'm afraid. I presume that if the arpeggiator is working in sync with the drum machine, you have adjusted any settings on the Micron that allow for external syncronisation. Other than that, I don't think you will be able to improve the synchronisation other than looking at something with a better MIDI clock, such as an MPC.

This thread from the other place indicates that the SR16 isn't very good at keeping time.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:39 am

Hmm...so you have the Micron configured to take its MIDI clock from the SR16...? You might consider these...

Once I have my tempo set, I like to record the drum machine's audio output into my audio software. There are a couple of reasons for this: First, I don't have to worry about sync problems happening down the road, second, sometimes slaving a drum machine to a sequence causes a very slight delay of a few milliseconds. This is especially true of older machines, and uncompensated MIDI interfaces.

If you record the machine, you can slide the drum tracks forward to eliminate this delay, and have the timing match your other tracks perfectly.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=184551

Have you checked over at the Yahoo Ion/Micron group. I think I've seen threads about sync issues over there

Yahoo group
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Kevbo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. Bummer that I can't get them to sync up in real time. Looks like I'll have to "slide" the drum track over, which'll take some trial & error with my archaic setup, but it's do-able. I also joined that Yahoo Micron group, so I'll see if they have any recommendations. Thanks again for the responses, I really appreciate it.
Kevbo

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:27 pm

I expect Richie's right in that you won't be able to get these two behaving better on their own, though you might as well make sure you've updated to the latest Micron OS in case that does any good.

http://www.alesis.com/micron

If it's for recording purposes though, it should be possible to come up with some workaround. There's no excuses for an 'archaic setup' in the age of Reaper and cheap secondhand PCs.

(Maybe you could try slaving them both to the DAW's MIDI clock or something...)
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Is there a way you could determine whether the latency is caused by the SR-16 sending a 'late' clock, or by the Micron responding slowly? Those are different issues. Have you tried syncing the arpeggiator from a different MIDI clock, such as your PC?
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Kevbo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Is Reaper really as good as they say? What are the downsides of it?
Kevbo

Postby narcoman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:14 am

Kevbo wrote:Is Reaper really as good as they say? What are the downsides of it?

None really. Missing a couple of things - but all DAWs miss some feature of another one. A very very good piece of software and absolutely worth looking at. The only thing I don't like about it is its "customability" and rather messy look. Minor quibble though...
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm using Reaper full time as well now, largely because there seems to be very little it can't be persuaded to do, and for its efficiency compared to some other sequencers.

I do agree that the "customability" can be a double-edged sword though. Time after time I've Googled Reaper functions that don't do what I expect, only to find there's a simply tick box that needs changing to do this.

The problem is that although you invariably end up getting it to work perfectly the way you want it, other Reaper users get confused because yours operates 'differently' from theirs, and you can get confused when trying to work on Reaper in someone else's studio for the same reason

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I'm using Reaper full time as well now, largely because there seems to be very little it can't be persuaded to do, and for its efficiency compared to some other sequencers.

I do agree that the "customability" can be a double-edged sword though. Time after time I've Googled Reaper functions that don't do what I expect, only to find there's a simply tick box that needs changing to do this.

The problem is that although you invariably end up getting it to work perfectly the way you want it, other Reaper users get confused because yours operates 'differently' from theirs, and you can get confused when trying to work on Reaper in someone else's studio for the same reason

Martin

But Reaper, being Reaper, has a solution for that too. Once you have it configured and running the way you like, you can put it on a USB stick and take your set-up with you.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.