You are here

Cheepish mic for vocoder use

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Cheepish mic for vocoder use

Postby Ojustaboo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 am

Hi all.

Have a small home setup, Cubase, komplete 8, korg triton extreme in a corner of the living room where I spend most evenings .

It does me fine, anything I currently record is via my korg or komplete, straight into Cubase.

I realise most of you would shudder at the bad acoustics etc

I also have my monitors at roughly 45 degrees from my ears, approx 1 meter away from each ear ( hope that makes sense).

I want to play around with vocoders both on my triton and on soft synths. I'm not into serious singing (wife would shoot me if I tried) and it being where it is, it's obviously pointless spending loads on a top range mic.

I presume that the speakers being where they are, using any kind if mic with them would be impossible? Due to the mic picking up what's coming from the speakers?

So I suspect the only choice I have is to use headphones while recording my vocoder experiments.

Presuming I have assumed correct, is there a reasonably not too expensive headphone style mic that I could use along with my headphones that would work well with vocoders please?

If it helps, both my mixer and audio interface have Phantom power and Xlr inputs

Many thanks

Joe
Ojustaboo
Regular

Re: Cheepish mic for vocoder use

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:39 am

Generally speaking I find that cheap and nasty mic's seem to work better with vocoders - probably something to do with the restricted bandwidth. I use an old Tandy tape recorder mic that you'd pick up on a car boot sale for 20p! I imagine you could pick up a PC headphone/mic headset for less than a tenner that would do the job.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The_BPP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:24 am

The Elf wrote:Generally speaking I find that cheap and nasty mic's seem to work better with vocoders - probably something to do with the restricted bandwidth. I use an old Tandy tape recorder mic that you'd pick up on a car boot sale for 20p! I imagine you could pick up a PC headphone/mic headset for less than a tenner that would do the job.

+1 I've done a bit of vocoder work, and it's all about the mid frequencies, and as it's for a home studio, there's no need to worry about feedback - A PC mic will be just the just :-)
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby Ojustaboo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Excellent, many thanks
Ojustaboo
Regular