You are here

Anybody catch tonight's BBC news from the olympic studio?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Anybody catch tonight's BBC news from the olympic studio?

Postby Jonesd90 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Anybody else notice the horrible acoustics of the studio?

Seemed to me that the 'anchorman' (or woman as it was in this case) had the worst sound on the whole news programme, even compared to location reports!

Dave
Jonesd90
Regular

Re: Anybody catch tonight's BBC news from the olympic studio?

Postby turbodave » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 am

I will see you and raise you the Sensodyne advert with the dentist talking in his theatre..appalling!! That BBC studio looks a little hard, if you get my drift!! Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:35 am

I saw the news this morning with the sports guy presenting from the studio overlooking the stadium and it sounds like it is all glass and hard plastic. Pretty horrible sounding.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby adrian_k » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 am

Yep, not to mention the road noise as well. I mentioned it (= had a little rant) to the missus and she just looked at me, pityingly. So the general public probably don't care.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:00 am

1pm news BBC1 was very poor acoustically; 6pm was much better - I noticed the presenter had his tie-clip mic well-up his tie, only just below his chin.

"Someone had blundered" (Tennyson)

... but who cares, it's only audio... as long as the pictures are good that's all that matters innit?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Phil O » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 am

Also looks to me like the presenters are squinting and seem hot. More reasons why so much glass is not a good idea !!
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:02 am

Yes, it was horrible.

Please please please complain to the BBC - the on-line complains form is HERE

I complained on-line yesterday and said:-

The Olympic Studio is horrible.

The picture is bad, the newsreader seems badly lit and soft focus. It is very obvious whenever the camera goes elsewhere - it's quite nasty.

The acoustics are bad and is clearly obvious on a normal TV.

The glass reflects - eg: the back of someone out of shot as happened tonight.

It seems as if it was knocked up by a cowboy builder with no understanding of what the studio would be used for.

Going outside adjacent to the studio for the weather was just as bad, with the presenter also badly lit and in soft focus.

It's all just horrible.

What happened to the BBC we used to be so proud of.

I am really not looking forward to the Olympics if this horrible quality continues.

The Queen's river pageant was one of the worst broadcasts I have ever watched and it seems the BBC are continuing this downward trend with the Olympics.

Very sad and disappointed.

I am also hearing how the autocue is reflected in the glass.

Surely it would have been quite simple to angle the glass so that it doesn't reflect back into the camera and the sound back into the mic.

It's just a terrible design of "studio" and bad broadcasting that even a student TV would do better.

Complain to the BBC !
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am

John Willett wrote:Yes, it was horrible.

Please please please complain to the BBC - the on-line complains form is HERE

I complained on-line yesterday and said:-

The Olympic Studio is horrible.

The picture is bad, the newsreader seems badly lit and soft focus. It is very obvious whenever the camera goes elsewhere - it's quite nasty.

The acoustics are bad and is clearly obvious on a normal TV.

The glass reflects - eg: the back of someone out of shot as happened tonight.

It seems as if it was knocked up by a cowboy builder with no understanding of what the studio would be used for.

Going outside adjacent to the studio for the weather was just as bad, with the presenter also badly lit and in soft focus.

It's all just horrible.

What happened to the BBC we used to be so proud of.

I am really not looking forward to the Olympics if this horrible quality continues.

The Queen's river pageant was one of the worst broadcasts I have ever watched and it seems the BBC are continuing this downward trend with the Olympics.

Very sad and disappointed.

I am also hearing how the autocue is reflected in the glass.

Surely it would have been quite simple to angle the glass so that it doesn't reflect back into the camera and the sound back into the mic.

It's just a terrible design of "studio" and bad broadcasting that even a student TV would do better.

Complain to the BBC !
... and if you do complain, tick the box that says you want a response...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:

Yes, I agree, that's what I did.

So far I have only received the acknowledgement of receipt.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Seemed better at 1pm today - both sound and lighting showed an improvement.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:44 pm

I've not yet managed to watch any Olympics tv... Some of us have to work you know!

But let's not forget that the BBC no longer has it's own TV OB fleet -- it's a customer hiring in a commercial company, like SiSLive or arena or someone. These companies are usually very good, but I suspect every OB truck across tha land has been dragged in to provide coverage, along with every freelancers. Experience and quality might well be in short supply! Also, the studio was probably designed by some fashionable designer with little practical tv experience. I doubt --or at least I hope -- that the BBC were as frustrated about it as you guys -- and I'm pleased to hear things have already improved.

There is a fashion now for lots of plexiglass in these OB studios and it always sounds horrible.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I've not yet managed to watch any Olympics tv... Some of us have to work you know!
H
But this is what purports to be the national and international news, Hugh! Why THAT has to be presented from the Olympics site is beyond me.

... just finished watching the BBC docu-drama about the double-sculls at the '48 Olypmpics.... The '48 was done on a shoestring and the two principal organisers commented about the official programme: "Good idea to get some advertising in there; made a tidy profit, it could catch-on!" And now look where we are...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Phil O » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:42 pm

The football segment anchored by Jake Humphrey seemed to require a full on blast from unseen fans as evidenced by the his notes (and the talent's hair) flapping in the wind. There also appeared to be a copious amount of background noise presumably from said fans.
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 am

Mike Stranks wrote:But this is what purports to be the national and international news, Hugh! Why THAT has to be presented from the Olympics site is beyond me.

It's all because production people want to appear to be in the midst of important things... and probably to gain free access too... ! It's all bollarks, obviously!

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:06 am

Phil O wrote:The football segment anchored by Jake Humphrey seemed to require a full on blast from unseen fans as evidenced by the his notes (and the talent's hair) flapping in the wind. There also appeared to be a copious amount of background noise presumably from said fans.

Yep... the feeble-minded designers and production people only think about things looking bright and shiny on camera, but their lack of broad TV experience means they have no comprehension of how hard such spaces are to light, how bad the sound is (both from colouration and external noise issues), or how hot and unpleasant such places can be to work in!

In my day, the BBC was a team and great emphasis was placed on everyone understanding and appreciating everyone elses's job, so that we all worked in ways that helped each other to produce the best possible output. Today's BBC is all about independent production teams and freelance crews, and so none of that mutual cooperation happens, and (almost) no one cares.

There was a time that I was very proud to be a part of the BBC and of what the BBC did. Sadly, I'm glad I'm an outsider now. It gets more embarassing and disappointing by the day!

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Jimmy T » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:24 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

but I suspect every OB truck across the land has been dragged in to provide coverage, along with every freelancers.
H

Yes, and from well beyond our borders too. It's a truly international operation.
Jimmy T
Poster

Postby Madman_Greg » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:04 pm

In a response to me from Aunty Beeb, they did admit some quality issues

This is a new studio, set up for the duration of the Olympics, which will be the source of many of our news stories over the next couple of weeks. Being live at the Olympic Park allows us to do justice to the biggest sporting event in the UK for a generation. Outside broadcasting can be a particular challenge as we do not have control of all outside factors. Some of our first broadcasts from the studio did have slight technical problems, in particular ensuring the best possible sound quality. We have made some minor adjustments and are now confident the sound quality is clear.
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby John Willett » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Madman_Greg wrote:
In a response to me from Aunty Beeb, they did admit some quality issues

This is a new studio, set up for the duration of the Olympics, which will be the source of many of our news stories over the next couple of weeks. Being live at the Olympic Park allows us to do justice to the biggest sporting event in the UK for a generation. Outside broadcasting can be a particular challenge as we do not have control of all outside factors. Some of our first broadcasts from the studio did have slight technical problems, in particular ensuring the best possible sound quality. We have made some minor adjustments and are now confident the sound quality is clear.

Word for word what they said to me.

I also mentioned the dreadful picture quality which they did not mention in the reply.

Though this has improved of late.

Though the nasty reflections are still there.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:27 pm

This is mad. They had plenty of time to prepare a studio on site (i.e. years!!) so there should not be any problems in the first place.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 pm

John Willett wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath, that's all you will get, the acknowledgement, the BBC remains aloof and cannot even contemplate pandering to the great unwashed, you're a flea on the hide of a bull elephant, you won't even be noticed.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 pm

OneWorld wrote:
John Willett wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath, that's all you will get, the acknowledgement, the BBC remains aloof and cannot even contemplate pandering to the great unwashed, you're a flea on the hide of a bull elephant, you won't even be noticed.
Wrong; I complained about something else a few weeks ago and got a very detailed response - running to two pages. On that occasion it definitely wasn't a standardised response as they went through each of the issues I'd highlighted and gave their 'explanation'.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:35 am

I did get a reply, but it seemed to be a standard reply that others got as well and it did not address my picture issue, only the sound issue.

It has got better, but the reflection of the autocue is still visible.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 am

Tne usual procedure is that the complaints department issues a standard reply fairly quickly. But the feedback is all passed to the relevant department and often -- although not always -- a ore detailed and specific reply is later sent from the department or person concerned. it can be several weeks later, though.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Ariosto » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:08 pm

What are those horrible sounding mics they are all using, the ones with a big square foam head and the long aluminum (plastic) body? Something cheap from Argos? (I'm meaning from the outside venues, not in the studio ...)
Ariosto
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 pm

Ariosto wrote:What are those horrible sounding mics they are all using, the ones with a big square foam head and the long aluminum (plastic) body? Something cheap from Argos? (I'm meaning from the outside venues, not in the studio ...)
They look like Beyer 58s to me... 'standard' issue interviewing mic... omni dynamic...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:33 am

The M58 is a good mic. So something else must be the problem... probably not something visually obvious...
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:42 am

I listened out for this specifically last night... there are some problems with reporters at venues doing two-ways back to the studio. Very phasey and thin at times and it comes and goes a bit. Just too many wires....
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Alfie Noakes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:54 pm

The problem is leaving London and basing themselves up north.
Alfie Noakes
Regular