You are here

Recording IRs

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording IRs

Postby Anonymous » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello, I wonder if there are any good articles about capturing IRs (with microphones) for those who have a 'patchy' knowledge of acoustic science. I'd like to do this, but I'm not sure how much time, knowledge or equipment is required to do a decent job.

I'd especially like to capture binaural IRs in different environments. I have binaural (in-ear) mics and would like to match sounds recorded in a studio with those recorded on location.

Also, there's a website where you can download free dummy head IR files, but they're in a .MAT data format for MATLAB. Is there an easy way to convert these measurements for use in standard convolution software?

Thanks
Anonymous

Re: Recording IRs

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi again Josif

If you look at the IRCAM website they give you the files in wav format also.

IRCAM wavs

Kenny
Distracted
Regular

Re: Recording IRs

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks. I wonder if this technique could be used to provide people with a more convincing binaural experience (via post production IRs).

I certainly think this is true of 3D film. I suspect the two images need to be callibrated to the individual's eyesight (perhaps using an equivalent graphic test) before it is projected directly to the retina.

This experience combined with binaural sound would be amazing, especially for bedbound/disabled people who can't go exploring, etc. Imagine if they captured such images and sounds on the next space mission!

I've always been fascinated by this, and it's strange to me, the lack of general interest in this sort of ultra-realistic virtual experience. I think it could really serve as an expansion of our senses. I mean, we could hear what an astronaut hears in his helmet, but see what an astronaut would see if he wasn't wearing one! Again, it comes down to people being so fixated on the intellect and undervaluing the psychological/psychedelic effect of what reaches us through our senses.