You are here

Digital recorder

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Digital recorder

Postby BigAl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 pm

I think my HHB CDR-850 may be on its last legs, so I'm thinking of a replacement digital recorder for mastering.
I'm obviously not going to buy a CD writer, but I was looking at some options:
1. SSD / USB recorder - maybe but not too cheap.
2. Portable / hand-held recorder with digital IN or decent line IN options (would prefer digital IN).
3. Laptop with CDR and software based stereo recorder.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
BigAl
Regular

Re: Digital recorder

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Since virtually every computer around (except the latest Macs 8-)) has a CD burner fitted so that would seem to me to be the way to go on cost grounds alone. Since it's all digital I can't see there should be any difference in output between the computer and a dedicated hardware unit. However since I've never used the latter I'd be interested to know whether there is any other factor in play that would recommend hardware.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio.  Water down the gin and let reality in.

Postby BigAl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 pm

There won't be a difference in quality. Any difference would be down to converters (if using one).

My only issue with a PC is the faffing around. Dedicated recorders are designed for one purpose and they do it very well. I don;t use a computer for recording (not yet anyway).

If using a PC / laptop, are there any simple pieces of recording software, just for doing stereo masters, whether in WAV, MP3, or whatever......? - although it's still a faff.
I don't have a decent PC at the moment, but may be getting one soon to try out for recording.
BigAl
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:14 pm

BigAl wrote:
I don't have a decent PC at the moment, but may be getting one soon to try out for recording.

You don't need a special PC for recording stereo files - just about anything made in the last 15 years will be fine provided there is no other software/hardware hogging the processor. However, you will need an audio interface to go with the PC - either an internal card or external USB box. If you want something as faff free as possible then I'd recommend a piece of software called CD Wave which allows you to record audio and will then split it into tracks after it has been recorded. The files that CDWave produces can then be burned by your CD burning software.

There are also a few units that combine the function of audio recorder and audio interface in one box - the Zoom R16 is one that comes to mind although I'm sure there are others.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby akkk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Man, I got microtrack m-audio for 20euros :), it got spdif in so I can connect my rme adi-2 to it. Anything with spdif will do. It is better this way than to record to pc, solid, deep good stereo image, I dont know why but recording to outside recorder just gives better results. Sound gets softer, kicks ain´t so tight when I record back to pc even if using same rme. Get some of those recorders, u will like it. USB file transfer is a must ofcourse
akkk
Regular