You are here

Breaking out from ITB, Hot to set up some analog gear?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Breaking out from ITB, Hot to set up some analog gear?

Postby realizment » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Hey guys,

Ive been totally ITB in mixing and production the past few years except for obvious mic pres and such, i sort of grew into the industry when itb was starting.... Anyways now that im workin and great studio im getting a tast of some outboard gear i really like. So im goin to grab some pieces such as couple distressors and couple dbx 160. maybe a nice api eq or 500 rack.

My question is how would i set this stuff up with my current set up. I use a focusrite saffire 56. Im a Pro tools and Cubase user. I like the idea of opening them as inserts in pro tools.

As its been so long since i was in school and never had to do the physical practice i dont really remember the basics of Normalled, half norlmalled, balanced, unbalanced anyone want to give me brief description of differences and uses?

Also should i go with a patch bay or wait till i aquire a lot more gear? What options are for patch bays? i know at work they use elco connectors.. How do i leanr more about the use and setting up of these?

Any help much appreciated! Thank you
realizment
Poster

Re: Breaking out from ITB, Hot to set up some analog gear?

Postby Jack Ruston » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 am

I would personally just set them up hard-wired to your IO and open them as inserts in PT. Obviously you have a few channels of IO to play with so you don't really need to wire them all to a patchbay if you dont want to. If you need chains, you can just manually hook them up. Doing a patchbay properly can be expensive.

One thing...Does the basic version of PT let you use delay compensation on hardware inserts? Worth checking.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Re: Breaking out from ITB, Hot to set up some analog gear?

Postby mjfe2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 pm

SOS did this article fairly recently, if you haven't seen it already: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may10/a ... hybrid.htm
mjfe2
Frequent Poster