You are here

New system advice needed.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

New system advice needed.

Postby One Horse Town » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:26 pm

I've been composing music(non-commercialy)for decades using manuscript paper or what the press like to call paper now....dead wood media. The composing bit has been done on another 'dead wood' device - a Yamaha Grand. Time I think for some tech gear. I'm into theme/incidental music and don't have the time (I'm 53) or inclination to learn every aspect of DAW's such as MOTU/CUBASE etc. I just want to get stuff recorded mostly in realtime as I can play. I've also got two motif racks and an ancient MKS20 + RD300 stage piano. I'm not interested in Sibelius as I don't need to see the notation. I realise multitracking etc is needed but the questions are:

1.DAW or just multitrack...or both?
2.Is the RD300 ok as a master kbd...still?
3.How best to utilise the Yamaha Grand?
4.pc or mac if I have to use a computer(I won't be expanding it)?

I've also set up as an Elton John tribute so the occasional backing track would be nice to do so that it breaks up just me and piano. Incidentally a friend has recommended the new Dynacord CMS 6-300 mixer (could you review it SOS?) as I could use it for all the above plus live.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
One Horse Town
Regular

Re: New system advice needed.

Postby BJG145 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 pm

One Horse Town wrote:Is the RD300 ok as a master kbd...still?

Is it good enough for you? You're the one that's going to be playing it.

One Horse Town wrote:pc or mac

This has to come before the DAW decision, and again, it's up to you. It depends entirely which way your heart/experience/wallet inclines.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby One Horse Town » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 am

The RD300 has a good action...for a stage piano. If I can get away with using this I will.
One Horse Town
Regular

Postby One Horse Town » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Not many responses.

Was it mention of Elton John that some of our more bigoted users couldn't stomach?
One Horse Town
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

1.DAW or just multitrack...or both?
2.Is the RD300 ok as a master kbd...still?
3.How best to utilise the Yamaha Grand?
4.pc or mac if I have to use a computer(I won't be expanding it)?

It's difficult to comment on such broad questions really. A master keyboard is a master keyboard; you either like the way it plays and the sounds it makes, or you don't. Likewise a computer is a computer and a DAW is a DAW. You can't go too far wrong with any decent computer and any modern DAW. If you can't decide, download a few demos and see which grabs your attention.
BJG145
Frequent Poster