You are here

Superior Drummer with Ableton Live Room Mic Problem

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Superior Drummer with Ableton Live Room Mic Problem

Postby Jillian » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Is there a way to record superior drummer into Live as multi-channel midi instead of audio? read below

The problem is that in Superior's mixer, every kit piece gets picked up by the overheads as well as the ambient mics. If I record to audio, I cant very well chop anything up and move it around, because the overheads have all the hits from the entire kit mixed in! I don't want to just delete the room mics because the drums sound like [ ****** ] without them.

This seems RETARDED! Please help!
Jillian

Re: Superior Drummer with Ableton Live Room Mic Problem

Postby BJG145 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Jillian wrote:Is there a way to record superior drummer into Live as multi-channel midi

I'm not familiar with Superior Drummer, but recording MIDI from it looks to be more difficult than I would have expected. There's a procedure described here that uses EZPlayer Pro...not sure if you might be able to adapt it...? Other people suggest using something like Drumtracker to convert the audio into MIDI, but it seems pretty long-winded.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby KuRu » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:30 pm

turn the master bleed levels right down on the overheads. if you used cubase or presonus studio you can make it multi track or just record straight to midi i dunno if you can in reaper which is free, might be worth a look thio, its very very simple to do in cubase and presonus studio tho
KuRu
Poster

Postby planetnine » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I hate loose ends...

The only MIDI that Superior Drummer has in it, is its "Grooves". These can be dragged into a track in your DAW (literally drag & drop) and then edited as you need. If you're playing an e-kit into it, just record the MIDI.

-but as was mentioned, if you turn down the master bleeds on the overheads and ambients, it will take the instruments out of those channels. If you turn down the individual bleeds in them, you can have what you like in them really.

You can split the channels in the SD2 mixer and have them map to tracks in your DAW, the method is dependent on which DAW you use, but I'll try and help either here, or on the Toontrack forums (I suspect the OP doesn't need that anymore though, re-reading the thread).

As users on SD2 will know, the strength of modern drum romplers is in the simultaneous recording of OH and room mics, this is what makes them sound so good and gives that gelled, roomy sound. Have a look in the manual at around pages 36 to 41 for info about the mixer and bleeds, and feel free to ask for any help.

>
planetnine
Regular

Planet Nine, Lincoln, UK.