You are here

Focusrite Liquid Channel emulations. Hardly any difference?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Focusrite Liquid Channel emulations. Hardly any difference?

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi

I own a Focusrite Liquid Channel which I really like as a preamp but I'm finding it hard to hear the differences between the emulations.
I decided to download clips from this site to see if there is a bigger difference between the emulations here :-

http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator.aspx

I still find it as hard to hear the differences between these emulations. I'm monitoring on Neumann KH120 monitors and Beyer DT880 pro headphones.
The site has loads of other preamp example clips and I can clearly hear differences between these preamps (Audient Mico, Focusrite ISA One, GAP PRE73 DLX and WARM Audio WA12).

When I bought the Liquid Channel I was hoping to find a really decent clean preamp (which it has) and something more old school and fat sounding but I can't seem to find that within the Liquid Channel. Maybe I need to experiment with the Harmonics knob using something like the Telefunken V72 emulation??
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Re: Focusrite Liquid Channel emulations. Hardly any difference?

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:39 pm

You will definitely need to crank the harmonics control to get anything more than extremely subtle differences between the LC's emulations. I like the 1073 emulation, but I only begin to hear the characteristics of a 1073 once the harmonics control approaches 12 o'clock.

Focusrite made available a number of 'hot' emulations/ These may have more character for you. I've never used them myself - if you want them, but can't find them, I can drop you a copy.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby didier.brest » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 pm

dickiefunk wrote:I own a Focusrite Liquid Channel which I really like as a preamp but I'm finding it hard to hear the differences between the emulations.
You would find still harder hearing the difference between the copies and the originals, as available from here. One demonstration more than the differences between preamps are vanishingly small.
didier.brest
Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks to Elf for the tip off about the hot versions of the Liquid Channel emulations.

I've also found a link to these on the Focusrite website :-

http://uk.focusrite.com/downloads/assets/mic_pres

Will get these installed and try them out soon!!

Has anyone on here tried these?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby danatkorg » Tue May 07, 2013 2:05 am

dickiefunk wrote:
I decided to download clips from this site to see if there is a bigger difference between the emulations here :-

http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator.aspx

The "Clipalator" is a very, very cool resource. However, it has its limitations.
For microphone preamps, the Clipalator does the following:
"Raw tracks, captured using an extremely neutral and fast pre, are “re-preamplified” via the Avedis Line-Z pad which converts line level to a low 150ohm microphone level, requiring +40dB of makeup gain from each pre."

The very good part of that is that variations in performance and mics - which can easily dwarf the differences between preamps - are completely removed from the equation.

In the case of the Liquid Channel, however, there's an unfortunate side effect: the analog side of the LC is an important component of each emulation or "asset," in particular because of its interaction with the microphone. As one example, the frequency response of a mic may change depending on the preamp's input impedance. This effect is lost with the technique used in the Clipalator.

I do wish to reiterate that I think the Clipalator is a *great* resource, even if it can't always show the whole picture.
danatkorg

Postby dickiefunk » Fri May 10, 2013 8:08 am

Ah this is interesting to hear.
I do have to admit that I find the differences between the emulations extremely subtle. I still haven't got round to installing the newer hotter driven emulations so will do this at some point. I do notice that using the harmonics knob adds a little more character but even then you have to crank this quite a lot!
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster