You are here

splicing tape dispenser

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

splicing tape dispenser

Postby ken long » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:32 pm

haven't see these around for a while. anyone know where i can pick one up? UK/EU only please.

thanks very much.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Re: splicing tape dispenser

Postby John Willett » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 pm

If anyone has such a thing then it's Canford Audio.

They still do the splicing tape cassettes for the CAT splicer (I still have one).

Maybe they still do the CAT splicer itself - excellent device.

The other place to look is Stanley Productions
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm curious...what does it look like...? All I can find is people saying a Scotch tape dispenser is fine.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:49 pm

I've never used one. The standard BBC solution was an aluminium disc screwed to the top of the head block, with the same diameter and thickness as a roll of splicing tape. You simply place the splicing tape reel on the disc, so that you can pull off a length of tape, cut with a single-sided razor blade (sticking the loose end of the reel to the block for easy access next time) and then carry the tape to the splice on the edge of the blade, which makes it easy to align over the splice in an Editall block.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ken long » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm

BJG145 wrote:I'm curious...what does it look like...? All I can find is people saying a Scotch tape dispenser is fine.

ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby ken long » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I've never used one. The standard BBC solution was an aluminium disc screwed to the top of the head block, with the same diameter and thickness as a roll of splicing tape. You simply place the splicing tape reel on the disc, so that you can pull off a length of tape, cut with a single-sided razor blade (sticking the loose end of the reel to the block for easy access next time) and then carry the tape to the splice on the edge of the blade, which makes it easy to align over the splice in an Editall block.

H

Nice idea Hugh, but judging from the machines I have seen from the BBC over the years as well as the Bush house auction recently, I would say most did not adhere to it. Dogged machines they were.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 pm

adhere to what? Pretty much every Studer and telecine machine I've ever used at the Beeb in BH, Bush, the regions and the training centre were equipped as I described. And I'm not surprised the machines looked tired, they were used hard everyday for years!

Here's an 807 with the disc to hold a reel of splicing tape on the left of the head block.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 pm

My experience is more limited than Hugh's, but back in the day at both BBC Radio Bristol and BBC Radio Oxford 'twas just as he says. And editing tape as Hugh describes was how I was shown by the engineers at Bristol back in 1976.

... and boy did those machines have a hard life! :)

But each to their own... we all have our own ways of working which suit us.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:adhere to what?

ummm.. tried to play on words but I guess I failed.

But yes, the machine in your picture is dogged. I can't see any reason why anyone would slash the machine like that other than through carelessness.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Mostly down to speed and frenetic nature of broadcast editing, but I dare say some of it is down to wanton vandalism... ;) But that's why the scratch plate is fitted, after all! Network radio and WS tape machines have always endured a very hard life which few without broadcast experience would really appreciate.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:27 pm

What a lovely machine to splice tape on, the Studer A816

Video
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Mostly down to speed and frenetic nature of broadcast editing, but I dare say some of it is down to wanton vandalism... ;) But that's why the scratch plate is fitted, after all!

No plate on that one Hugh - or many others I've seen. I can appreciate the need to be quick on the edits but why go through the bother of the alu disc for the splicing tape and not fit a plate. Sorry, wreaks of carelessness to me. I don't need broadcasting experience to appreciate *that*. I mean, I've even seen armrests slashed. Now who the f&*k does that?

But anyway, I'm still looking for the dispenser. Cheers.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:47 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote: What a lovely machine to splice tape on, the Studer A816

Whoa! Freaky continental madness with upside-down head blocks and inside-out tape reels without flanges! ;) It'll never catch on I tell you. Wonderful scissor mechanics, though -- only a Swiss company would come up with something as bonkers as that. Wonder how often the thing has to be disassembled to sharpen the blades?

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 pm

ken long wrote:]No plate on that one Hugh

True -- I hadn't looked at the picture properly. A lot of machines had a Formica or similar scratch plate fitted, but not that one. I agree, that machine has clearly seen some abuse. It happens when people are stressed or bored. Not everyone cherishes the equipment they use... Especially if they don't have to buy it themselves!

But anyway, I'm still looking for the dispenser. Cheers.

I'll keep my eyes open for you, but I've not see one in years. Basic reels of Splicing tape is hard enough to find these days, with most suppliers clearing redundant stock.

Personally, I've never seen the point or benefit of a dispenser, but I guess that's just because of the way I was trained to edit back in the day.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ken long » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
I'll keep my eyes open for you, but I've not see one in years. Basic reels of Splicing tape is hard enough to find these days, with most suppliers clearing redundant stock.

Personally, I've never seen the point or benefit of a dispenser, but I guess that's just because of the way I was trained to edit back in the day.

Its not for dispensing as much as it is to keep the tape from drying out! as you say, people selling new old stock and it isn't cheap. Thanks Hugh.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.