You are here

looking for a large second hand mixing desk

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

looking for a large second hand mixing desk

Postby KuRu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:04 pm

hi guys im looking for a large desk to record my band ive been looking at mackie SR40-8 also been looking at Allen and Heath gs3 24, soundcraft ghost 32 LE, also dare i say it a behringer mx9000

my budget is £500 absolute maximum, i want to take direct outs into my motu 24 i/o do all of the larger desks like this have there direct outs post eq on the direct outs or is that specific to certain ones? i thought it might be nice to be able to use the eq etc, anyone else got any other suggestions for desks it might be worth looking at? in this price range? many thanks

oh also just wondered has anyone heard of or got any experience with DDA CS3 32 it says its midas quality on the listing?
KuRu
Poster

Re: looking for a large second hand mixing desk

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Back in the day, when t2hey were first introduced I had the mx9000 and within 3 weeks of delivery 3 channels went down, I decommissioned it, sent it back for repair, waited 2 weeks for its return, put it to work again and within a few weeks, another channel went down. OK they said send it back as it was under warranty but disconnecting, transporting a massive desk is a day of a job, I got rid of it. Before that I had an mx8000 and that was no problem, also had A&B - brill that was
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:07 pm

For that kind of money, the names you should be looking at include Allen & Heath (GS-series, Saber), Soundtracs, Soundcraft (Ghosts are good, as are Series 500, 600, 1600, and some of the live models if they've got the direct outs and other features you need), DDA (designed by the same guy who made the aforementioned Soundcraft desks), possibly Tascam (never used their old ones myself)... And occasionally you can pick up a real bargain on something even more 'classic'. Stay away from an older Behringer model...

Oh, and you should *really* look at any second-hand desk you buy before you hand over money! They can be very time-consuming (and occasionally expensive) to maintain.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby GooGoo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Good luck scoring a decent Ghost or GS3 for £500. It's possible because most will be pick up only and so the seller will be limiting the potential market for themselves.
A lot of desks with direct outs do so pre eq so the chance of using the mixer for that purpose are nil.
Check out this site for mixers with pre/post eq direct outs etc - it's not comprehensive but it's a start.

http://www.silentway.com/mixers

The other thing to factor in budget wise with all your ins and outs is cabling. Six times eight way looms of a passable quality ain't cheap.
Do it - but be aware of ALL expenses/disadvantages. Get it right though and it's a pleasure to do something without having to stare at a computer screen all the time.
GooGoo
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm

if possible, go for something properly modular where you can remove a single channel for servicing rather than having to open up the whole desk. And avoid anything with a horizontal board under the control surface unless you are given it for free as they're a real pain to fix - desks in this category include Mackie, Behringer, Seck and Soundcraft's spirit range.

As has been said before, don't forget the cabling - I'm right in the middle of running all the cables for my new studio and it has taken nearly as long as the physical construction process.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby KuRu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:48 pm

wow thx for all the replys fellas! defo some good info in there, will defo swerve on the mx9000
KuRu
Poster