You are here

Attn. Soundscape Users

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Attn. Soundscape Users

Postby Oliver21 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 pm

I still use the SSHDR1+ and have 3 Mixtreme cards. I'm quite a fan and with the possible exception of the affordable panini press, think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I've been on the SS forum trying to find out why the plugins for this kit aren't still available. SSL (new owners) tell me that the liscences have now expired but I'd have thought in these tough times there must be quite a few SSHD1, Mixtreme and Mixpander users (judging by some of the comments on SS forum) who would be be willing to pay for some of these plugins. Me included.

Surely SSL and the plugin manufacturers (Waves, TC etc) wouldn't turn down the chance of some easy cash as the Soundscape platform is (at least in my studio) very much alive and kicking.

Any views/insights as to why this is the case would be interesting.

Oliver
Oliver21
Regular

Re: Attn. Soundscape Users

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 pm

We have a Soundscape rig as a result of one key engineer wanting to use one. Since he was head-hunted by an AV company, nobody has bothered to use it.

My opinion? It is total rubbish in today's world. No elastic audio (I can't imagine editing without being able to squeeze and stretch things to fit to the MIDI grid). No equivalent of Beat Detective. No automatic quantisation tools. No drag-n-drop. No automatic routing. Hardly any plug-ins. On top of that, SSL has done nothing to bring this system up to date, so no chance of a long-term future.

It was marginally better than ProTools back in its' day and certainly much faster to use, but if you want modern tools, load Reaper into you PC and use the Soundscape just as an IO.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Goddard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 pm

No idea about the SSHDR1+ (that's truly ancient, love that you're still making use of it!) but for Mixtreme stuff you might look over at the Sydec site or contact them (in an earlier incarnation, the original developers):

http://sydec.be/
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Oliver21 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:27 am

I've been on the Sydec website but they just direct you to the SSL website.

I hear what you say about Soundscape being a bit long in the tooth these days but I'm not actually usuing the soundcards for the I/O and the main unit as an effects processor (easily up to these tasks).

I guess whoever has got access to Sydecs database now could make it happen but if that's SSL it may create a coflict of interests with plugins for their newer hardware.
Oliver21
Regular