You are here

Home recording using direct outs

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Home recording using direct outs

Postby DeWall516 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 am

So I am in a band and we play live shows quite regularly. We recently wanted to start recording some material and I have questions about a setup. I have a Mackie 32.4 that we use for live shows. I can currently do some shoddy recordings one track at a time which is great until you want to record drums. Then I need to record 8 tracks at once or just get a good drum mix and just hope it will suffice for the final recording g without being able to eq or add effects to each piece of the kit individually. My board has DB 25 direct outs on it (4 sets of 8) and I was wondering if there is a way for me to get my 8 drum tracks separately recorded into a program (probably cubase) and keep them separate the whole time? Any information on what kind of interface should I be after? Thanks ahead of time.
DeWall516
Poster

Re: Home recording using direct outs

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 am

Quite simply, you need an audio interface with a minimum of 8 inputs. If the inputs include mic pre's then you can get that mixer out of the way, which would be preferable IMO.

There are plenty of options. SOS recently did a round-up of multi-channel interfaces HERE.

The older RME Fireface (not the UFX) is still my favourite at this time, for it's price, hassle-free drivers, TotalMix software and audio quality.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 am

I would think the most cost effective solution would be the Tascam US 1600?

I know you are paying for mic pres' you don't need but I do not know of an 8 line input AI?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 am

If this is something you only need to do occasionally, then the most cost-effective solution would be to hire a multi-channel line-input recorder of some form, hook it into your desk, record your base tracks in the usual way, and then import the recorded tracks into Cubase from the hard disk afterwards. There are plenty of options for multitrack HDD recorders and all are pretty straightforward to use if you're recording analogue sources.

You could look, for examplem, at hiring something like the JoeCo Black Box recorder which can record all your direct outs in one hit, saving to disc as WAV files. You can then import the files to Cubase for mixing etc.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 am

Starting to see a few of these
(Zoom R16)
on eBay now
eBay
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 pm

... and THIS looks interesting...

Also see THIS VIDEO from Sound on Sound TV
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 pm

shufflebeat wrote: Starting to see a few of these
(Zoom R16)
on eBay now
eBay

Our bass player has one and we've used it to record the whole band. 4 mics on the kit (BD, SD 2x OH - Google the Glyn Johns method), DI from bass, emulated outs from guitar amps. Only issue we had was that it glitched when recording 8 tracks simultaneously at 24 bit (probably not the fastest SD card). Very easy to import the tracks in to Cubase for further editing / overdubs / mixing.

I've also used my Alesis Fusion 6HD in the past although this isn't as portable and its a bit of a pain getting the tracks into Cubase.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dow Fereday » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:31 pm

I personally have used the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 pre (8 tracks only) and with an Alesis HD24(great for live mic capture). As you have a line level source an Alesis HD24 will record up to 24 channels for you. There is normally an issue with monitoring your tracks but if you are using insert leads and putting compressors before the inputs and gates after the recorder this should be obvious from your out front sound (which will be compromised by recording and producing live sound at the same time)..... so FOH balancing only on the faders.
Other recorders from Mackie fostex tascam with in/outs will also work
keep the levels low....Test during rehersals and carry far too many cables..Good luck
Dow Fereday