You are here

groove box and copyright usages

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

groove box and copyright usages

Postby KSM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

hello - i have a question regarding groove box and copyright usages. if I am making music from a groove box with programmed in box sounds and rhythms and beats and etc, and I compose a track with no or very minimal change to the patterns and sounds that it already comes with... do I have right to copyright / release / sell the resulting track? my concern is that the track we composed isn't too different sounding than something that might be easily created by anyone else turning on the same machine.
KSM

Re: groove box and copyright usages

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:32 pm

As long as you just haven't just recycled preset music patterns unaltered (which isn't composing music), then generally yes, these machines are designed and intended to be used to create music, so it's ok to do whatever you want with that music. Hardware you buy seldom has licensing restrictions on what you can do creatively with the music you make with it - usually only that resampling to sell the samples as a library is not permitted usage.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby KSM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 pm

well thats the problem. the presets have barely been changed. i might have slowed the tempo a minimal bit or some other slight tweaks, but i imagine you could replicate it pretty easy by just turning the machine on and playing tracks with minimal tweaks. i fully realize it is low hanging fruit (if not worse) in terms of creativity but its my client who likes it and wants to use it, as opposed to the other orginal things i've come up with. i just want to make sure i'm not violating any copyright issues if the changes are almost non existant or minimal. does anyone have any thoughts or resources i could investigate further?
KSM

Postby pa28 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 pm

This post, has re-kindled a question I have asked before but never got a satisfactory answer to. Is it possible to claim copyright to patches someone has created by using supplied editing software, (the hardware in question is an effects unit), as it is perfectly possible to just dial up the same parameters, and have created the same user defined patch as the claimed copyrighted patch/s.

Sorry if this appears a thread drift, but I thinks it's relevant.
pa28
Regular

Postby narcoman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 am

KSM wrote:well thats the problem. the presets have barely been changed. i might have slowed the tempo a minimal bit or some other slight tweaks, but i imagine you could replicate it pretty easy by just turning the machine on and playing tracks with minimal tweaks. i fully realize it is low hanging fruit (if not worse) in terms of creativity but its my client who likes it and wants to use it, as opposed to the other orginal things i've come up with. i just want to make sure i'm not violating any copyright issues if the changes are almost non existant or minimal. does anyone have any thoughts or resources i could investigate further?

The second post answered your question. You are free to do whatever you like. The only thing you can't do is put samples of such boxes into sample collections. Writing a song using a preset is fine.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Mr. Lau » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 am

I remember one of the 'rules' of sampling...

... It is not bad to sample other people's sounds (well just don't take a whole verse, shame on you! ):o
but make it YOUR sound, process, shape it, use it in a context completely different from the original...

If you make a hit song, well, if the owner of the copyright notices your 'borrowed' sample, I suppose his lawyers are going to knock knock knocking on your front door!

But I don't think that if you sample a single snare, they could prove your crime
Mr. Lau
Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Mr. Lau wrote:
But I don't think that if you sample a single snare, they could prove your crime

There are plenty of snare samples I can recognise, I expect a savvy lawyer could pursue a case if they really wanted to, but that isn't really relevant to this thread; the groovebox is sold to be used as it is or with tweaked presets, no one will pursue copyright on tracks made with one. Sampling all the individual sounds and selling them though is another matter.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster