You are here

DI Volume/Level Question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

DI Volume/Level Question

Postby mbbentz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Folks - I'm in the process of learning some of the more basic level home recording techniques and I have a quick question regarding DI recording levels.

My setup: I have my Bass (active pickups) plugged into my Focusrite Saffire which is connected to my PC. Regarding levels, there's the Bass pickup output level and the input levels on the Saffire.

Is there any "rule of thumb" or "best practice" when it comes to the volume/levels used in the DI chain for recording? For example, should the bass output level be all the way up and the Saffire input level be as high as possible without causing distortion? Or is mostly just all done by ear - whatever just sounds right?
mbbentz

Re: DI Volume/Level Question

Postby Jack Ruston » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Normally the instrument volume will be all the way up. There are certain instruments and pickups that sound good backed off a bit, but try it and see how you find it.

You'd then set the input level to leave plenty of headroom. The thing with DI's is that they're VERY dynamic. Dig in, and the level really comes up fast so be conservative and make sure you don't clip on the way in.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Re: DI Volume/Level Question

Postby mbbentz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense. The more volume provided by the Bass, the less work the Saffire has to do. I'll keep playing around.
mbbentz