You are here

Favorite Plugin Developers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Favorite Plugin Developers

Postby Mattyy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:31 pm

OK.
So. In the last three years, it feels like I've demoed at least a million plugins. My obsession borders on debilitating. BUT. I now feel that I actually have an opinion about the quality of the various offerings out there. AND. I am fairly new to music engineering (last 5-10 years) so I don't have any "romantic" favorites, therefore, I feel like I'm a tad more objective than many as well. So here goes -- in order of preference.

1. Fabfilter: Not a single weak product. Light on the CPU. Easy to use.
2. PSP: Best sounding bar none! A little more resource hungry and harder to get right at times.
3. Soundtoys: Gimmicky but awesome none the less. A tad bit over-hyped imho.
4. Brainworx: They have nailed M/S and EQ imho. Some of their distortion offerings are a bit weak I feel.
5. URS: Very under the radar and limited in scope but they sound really good to me at least.
6. Abbey Road: When they're right - they're right!

NO? Waves: WAYYY too inconsistent :S From truly ingenious to plain awful sounding (Retro Comp vs. Hybrid EQ for instance). McDSP: when they start putting more audio samples online then I may revise my opinion but until then, I assume that absence means... UAD: please start looking forward as well, there will never be another Queen, get over it.

HONORABLE MENTION FOR PAYING FOR PROMO? Slate Digital: The ones that I've used, I've liked but they lack a real range of plugins, they are HEAVY on the CPU and its just really hard to hear the truth over the din of Steven Slate singing lounge tunes ;)
That's it for now.
Your opinions as of March 2013?
Expect my fave software instruments soon.
Thanks
Mattyy
Regular

Just a fan of music...

Re: Favorite Plugin Developers

Postby The_BPP » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:12 am

You criticise UAD for not looking forward, and yet include "Abbey Road" in your list of favourite plugin developers?
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 am

Mattyy wrote:I am fairly new to music engineering (last 5-10 years) so I don't have any "romantic" favorites, therefore, I feel like I'm a tad more objective than many as well.

Yeah, inexperienced engineers are always the objective ones.

Mattyy wrote:McDSP: when they start putting more audio samples online then I may revise my opinion but until then, I assume that absence means...

You can't tell much from listening to audio samples online, and expressing a negstive opinion of McDSP is on this basis is just a joke. (I hope your demo'ing doesn't just consist of listening to online samples).

Mattyy wrote:UAD: please start looking forward as well, there will never be another Queen, get over it.

Do you actually own a UAD card?
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby narcoman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 am

URS? In the early days defo king of the hill but they just haven't moved on. Not good sounding at all.

Not keen on Waves but for business reasons, they have a few good plugins.

Brainworx are great; the plugin alliance stuff is very good. Something not right about the MS stuff though.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 am

I'd also query the negative comments about the UAD ecosystem. I'm in the position now of feeling slightly silly for not adopting it over the years.

As mentioned in another thread, for cheap, but nice plugins there are a few from Audio Damage that I like.

TBH, my favourite 'plugin' is the one that Lexicon wrote to let me integrate my PCM96 into the DAW! ;)
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Bossman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:01 am

My Favourite plugin developers = UAD

I like some of the Waves plugins.

I also like the Slate Digital plugins
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:16 am

UAD all the way.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 pm

One day I'll get the UAD precision suite. I demoed it years ago and the limiter was very good. The Manley would be nice as well.

Otherwise Fabfilter do some nice stuff.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Mattyy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:25 pm

You criticise UAD for not looking forward, and yet include "Abbey Road" in your list of favourite plugin developers?

Yup. The TG12412 plugin represents a tone palate that very few have been ever able to use. The RE-201???

Yeah, inexperienced engineers are always the objective ones.

Wow... I know you are but what am I? LOL!!!

You can't tell much from listening to audio samples online, and expressing a negstive opinion of McDSP is on this basis is just a joke.

Can tell even less from youtube videos at NAMM but McDSP seem to love those :S No criticism of McDSP sound - just the fact that they are less than transparent in their business approach. And I demo all I can - trust me ;)

No. When they start to break new audio ground then I'll be first in line. The Precision line is interesting to me though.. maybe if they upgraded/updated that line as often as they release 1176 and LA2A clones :lol:

URS? In the early days defo king of the hill but they just haven't moved on. Not good sounding at all.

URS Saturation vs. whatever else in software saturation. I'm down for a shootout ;) My next step is definitely hardware after this me thinks.

As mentioned in another thread, for cheap, but nice plugins there are a few from Audio Damage that I like.

Thanks! Finally someone who is NOT sponsored by UAD - LOL!! JK guys.. back with the flamethrowers :O

My Favourite plugin developers = UAD. I like some of the Waves plugins. I also like the Slate Digital plugins

...And I don't listen to any music released after 1974 - I know what I like and I like what I know. Don't mean to sound facetious (oops - LOL!) but those three companies probably spend by and far the most on ad space as well... Coincidence :S

Thanks for the input guys. :headbang:
Sorry admin. Realized after that I probably posted this in the wrong place. My bad.
Will add my soft synth developers soon.
Cheers.
Mattyy
Regular

Just a fan of music...

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:29 pm

FWIW I find many of the UAD plugins (not all) to be my most used, simple, effective, great sounding, fast and overall *useful* plugins for my music.

I like other plugins as well, of course, but the UAD stuff just works really well for me, other constraints aside. Super useful, great sounding and quick and easy plugins to use. And I don't say that lightly, because I can't use them on my system at all (again) so I am forced to resort to alternatives, very few as which give me a similar level of utility...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:02 pm

UAD, next best thing if you can't afford the vintage hardware.

IK plugs, actually sound very good, great bang for the buck.

8-)
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby Scramble » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:05 pm

>Will add my soft synth developers soon.

Well, plenty of scope for some highly objective "It's not 1974 anymore" slams there!
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Karl H. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Mattyy wrote:

Yup. The TG12412 plugin represents a tone palate that very few have been ever able to use. The RE-201???

Hilarious, I actually bought a UAD card first and foremost to replace my HW RE-201. I was sick and tired of the maintenance, so I sold that (and my for-parts spare unit) and bought a UAD card for the money I got for them.

Now, SpaceEcho may be an effect you either love or hate, but what it does, it does very well. Dub reggae would not exist without that box or its peers.

Now, I don't consider myself a vintage freak, I appreciate both new and old equipment and think some of the focus on vintage can be a bit silly. But, avoiding vintage just because it's old seems to be just as silly to me. If it sounds good, who cares when it was made?

Other than UAD, I like the Lexicon plugs (Gosh, another imitative plugin!), some of the Audio Damage stuff (DubStation - OK, I'm a delay freak), plus a good selection of free stuff (some great stuff out there, actually, I tend to spend most of my money on synths).

Karl
Karl H.
Poster

Postby Bossman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Mattyy wrote:

No. When they start to break new audio ground then I'll be first in line. The Precision line is interesting to me though.. maybe if they upgraded/updated that line as often as they release 1176 and LA2A clones :lol:

The first 1176 plugin was released in 2001. and they've only just recently updated it 12 years later... i'd hardly call that often.

UAD specialize in emulations. and they are very good at it. Mix engineers still use studios full of hardware.. including real 1176 and LA2A units amongst other classics. To be able to have a plugin that even comes close is great and we should be thankful.. and UAD have been delivering the goods since 2001.. respect to them!

oh yeah, and the RE-201 is the best delay plugin full stop. Love it. Closely followed by the Cooper Time Cube. :bouncy:
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Bossman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:12 pm

lots of people hate Waves, as a company.. but no one likes companies do they?... everyone loves to hate the corporations etc.. so what..

they make good plugins. and have been doing since at least the mid nineties..they were one of the first plugin developers and they've always been ahead of the game.

I prefer UAD, but if I couldn't have UAD plugins then Waves would be my second choice.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Bossman wrote:lots of people hate Waves, as a company.. but no one likes companies do they?... everyone loves to hate the corporations etc.. so what..

they make good plugins. and have been doing since at least the mid nineties..they were one of the first plugin developers and they've always been ahead of the game.

I prefer UAD, but if I couldn't have UAD plugins then Waves would be my second choice.

The reason people hate the corporations and the large companies is that they often tend to treat their customers quite badly, only care about the big name clients and think marketing is all they need to do..
Waves is one of these companies. :headbang:

There are many great software developers who have a very good relationship with their users but they are quite often the smaller companies who seem to be able to listen and maintain a good dialogue with the buying public

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby _ Six _ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:28 pm

Business practice aside I really like Waves plugs. Yes, I've been stung by them but, I would buy their products again. I also quite like Softube. Especially their 1176 FET emulation. That sounds great on drums. I've never been convinced by the amp sims though.

Native Instruments have a few beauties too.
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:16 am

Mattyy wrote:

UAD have effectively broken new ground by being better at emulating very good analogue equipment than anyone else.

If you're trying to argue all high end analogue equipment is inferior to 'breaking new ground plug ins' then it may be time to get your ears syringed, if you're not trying to argue that point then UAD wins by default!

It's no coincidence that there's a lot of support for UAD around here - perhaps you should ask why?

Oh and the UAD Precision line is the least interesting of the UAD fare and not because it hasn't been upgraded.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby _ Six _ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:37 am

I've never used UAD plugs in anger (I considered getting a card) but I can't really tell much of a difference on the listening tests compared to the Waves stuff. I don't really see the point in paying out for one when I can get the native stuff to run without the additional cost and restrictions of the card. They're not exactly cheap! I could buy a decent mic instead!

The tape plugs might have swayed me but again there's the Kramer Tape and Slate Digi affairs that will run on my iLok without the additional cost.

Maybe I'm missing something!
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby A. AuCr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 am

No love for Variety of Sound? I wind up using his plugs on a lot of channels.

Y'must all be Mac users or sumptin. :D
A. AuCr
Regular

Postby Mattyy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:25 am

LOL! Dodges flame throwers ;)
Guess I deserve it for calling out the irrelevant :O "The material sounds great - all nice and Steely Dan polished - but it's about as boring as listening to paint dry." ;) Come on gals/guys - lets give the innovative some love as well as the imitative (as "great" as they are *shrugs*).

UAD, next best thing if you can't afford the vintage hardware.
Couldn't of said it better myself :D

Well, plenty of scope for some highly objective "It's not 1974 anymore" slams there!
Sheesh - I thought I was being quite witty. Apparently, Matt from UA took it to heart - LOL!!

...To be able to have a plugin that even comes close is great and we should be thankful.. and UAD have been delivering the goods since 2001
I can buy a brand new 1176 for 2 grand here in Canada. I can buy a used one for roughly half of that. I can get the UAD version on my system (Macbook Pro) for a grand plus. Thanks. No second hand option. No chance to preA/B it with PSP Oldtimer. HUH? BTW, there's a shootout UAD beta testers ;)

Re: Waves: they make good plugins. and have been doing since at least the mid nineties..they were one of the first plugin developers and they've always been ahead of the game.
Waves would be a footnote without piracy. It actually kind of worked out for them. Again, they have some ingenious plugs but most sound just awful!!! Do yourself a favour and use only Hybrid EQ on a whole mix... sheesh :S Sorry - I'm pissed at them, my sponsorship deal just ran out and they didn't renew. Can you blame them? And me so charming and all. LOL!!

If you're trying to argue all high end analogue equipment* is inferior to 'breaking new ground plug ins' then it may be time to get your ears syringed, if you're not trying to argue that point then UAD wins by default!
Nope. I'm trying to argue that time moves forward. Technology improves. But, nostalgia rules in this broken down industry. Time to shake it up. New suggestions? I'm interested in new hardware as well if you have any faves ;)

*assuming you mean vintage here as otherwise your statement wouldn't make any sense.

There are many great software developers who have a very good relationship with their users but they are quite often the smaller companies who seem to be able to listen and maintain a good dialogue with the buying public..

Now, I don't consider myself a vintage freak, I appreciate both new and old equipment and think some of the focus on vintage can be a bit silly. But, avoiding vintage just because it's old seems to be just as silly to me. If it sounds good, who cares when it was made?
Wisdom I can absorb and use today in 2013. Thanks guys :lol:

My take on the suggestions for what it's worth:
IK: Good stuff - just eclipsed by others imho. Ie. CSR vs Aether
Lexicon: LOL!! Can't take on the Lexicon reps as well :O
Audio Damage: REALLY unique and new but often don't sound great to my (need to be syringed) ears :S
Softube: Like them!! Again - do the FET/Oldtimer shootout and tell me what you think.
Native Instruments: Innovative as HELL. They were WAY up there for me but recent developments have dropped them out of the running as far as I'm concerned. The sound is suffering...
Variety of Sound: DAMN I wish Bootsy would port to AU for me!!!!

For my part - I never said that UAD weren't producing GREAT plugs (how would I know?) I just implored them to get CREATIVE.
Remember creativity?
Thanks again for all suggestions.
Mattyy
Regular

Just a fan of music...

Postby Mattyy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:38 am

P.S. RE-201 vs. PSP Echo anyone?
LOVIN' that new plug :lol:
Mattyy
Regular

Just a fan of music...

Postby Scramble » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 am

No reps here. Just a few bemused onlookers.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm interested in how you'd define 'Creative'?

One example is that using a Liquid Mix, I can build a custom eq with Neve low end, a couple of bands of mid from an SSL, a high mid from a Pultect and some glossy top end courtesy of an Amek. It would be interesting, but a) is it _creative_ and b) would the effort involved in creating that plugin justify it's use?

There's a reason why people put a Distressor over drums or an LA2A over bass - it works and works well. The $1000 you spend on a single used 1176 will give you the ability to use 1 channel at a time - with a $2000 UAD card, you can have a shedload of channels of all sorts of cool stuff. Surely, the creativity should be in the _use_ of the plugins..?

(better still in the music .. but let's gloss over that part ;) )

I'm not flaming here - genuinely interested in what you consider 'creative'? Maybe we can point to something that you might like...
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Bossman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm interested in how you'd define 'Creative'?

One example is that using a Liquid Mix, I can build a custom eq with Neve low end, a couple of bands of mid from an SSL, a high mid from a Pultect and some glossy top end courtesy of an Amek. It would be interesting, but a) is it _creative_ and b) would the effort involved in creating that plugin justify it's use?

There's a reason why people put a Distressor over drums or an LA2A over bass - it works and works well. The Dave B000 you spend on a single used 1176 will give you the ability to use 1 channel at a time - with a I'm interested in how you'd define 'Creative'?

There's a reason why people put a Distressor over drums or an LA2A over bass - it works and works well. The 000 you spend on a single used 1176 will give you the ability to use 1 channel at a time - with a 000 UAD card, you can have a shedload of channels of all sorts of cool stuff. Surely, the creativity should be in the _use_ of the plugins..?

I'm not flaming here - genuinely interested in what you consider 'creative'? Maybe we can point to something that you might like... 000 UAD card, you can have a shedload of channels of all sorts of cool stuff. Surely, the creativity should be in the _use_ of the plugins..?

I'm not flaming here - genuinely interested in what you consider 'creative'? Maybe we can point to something that you might like...

+1 ..the tools are there to be used ..creativity is about how you use the tools. Its about how you use them and what you make with them.

A carpenter doesn't complain about hammers and drills because they are copies of old designs, or because they are unimaginative. They use the hammer to bang in nails, and they use the drill to drill holes.. Its what they make with the tools that counts.

If you have a design that works well, why redesign it... I'm not saying no-one should invent new plugins or tools, but why discount the old trusty designs that everyone else uses to get the job done.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby WiredUp » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Personally I find many plugin developers to be way overpriced. My vote goes to Massey, top class products at sensible pricing.
WiredUp
Regular

Postby Mattyy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:36 pm

As a newcomer to music engineering (8 or so years) but a music veteran (30+ years), I've struggled with getting the music in my head to "wax" so to speak. Computer technology excites me because it helps me get to where I need to be - musically.
Audio plugins, in particular, interest me because there are developers who are trying to really help people like myself make the best sounding music that we can.

Plugin developers who overcharge, put out shoddy product, make it difficult for you to sample their wares or create a business paradigm that only favors those who are "in the club" are holding the industry back in my honest opinion.

Personally, I've been able to, over the last few years, demo a ton of plugs! My initial goal in making this post was to give others the benefit of that experience. And due to the lack of protest to my initial choices, I am assuming that many agree with my picks.

As for WAVES, McDSP and UAD - at this point, I have my reasons for not using their products, ie. I feel that there are better choices out there for me.

"Creative" to me is making something new. PSP Echo is a new take on an established effect. Fabfilter Saturn is a GREAT creative tool and a pretty fresh idea. Automatically putting a distressor over the drum buss or slapping an LA2A on a bass guitar is lazy in my honest opinion. BUT. If after trying a few things, that's what's needed then I understand. I'm pretty sure that Philly Joe Jones might not like having his drums distressed but maybe I'm wrong :S
Just sayin.. :D
PS. I prefer to use a nail gun ;)
PPS. I do like the Massey stuff.. maybe a revisit is in order :)
Mattyy
Regular

Just a fan of music...

Postby Karl H. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 pm

If you want to see innovative use of "boring" plugs, then have a look (and listen) to what The Glitch Mob are doing with their UAD plugs. I was a fan of the band before I discovered the UAD connection, and thought their music sounded very fresh and innovative. I was positively surprised when I discovered some videos on the UAD site where they explained how they made some of the effects on their record with the UAD plugs. Things like "mis-using" various plugs just to generate distortion or use compressors to pull out strange details from way down in the decay stage. They have some cool sections where they make the vocal sound like a synth sound and then go back to sounding natural again - in my view some pretty cool stuff.
Karl H.
Poster

Postby Guy Johnson » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 am

Altiverb
Melda Prdouction
PSP
Sonalksis
Tritone
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:26 am

I'd agree with much of the above.

+[several] for audio damage and Sonalksis

to add to the fun:

Camel Audio. Very nice synth, and fx. There is a vintage, can't-buy-it-now plug called Super Camel Phat 2 that is a lot simpler than the current version and is utterly mental. Especially the 'random' patch button.

Ohm Boyz make some utterly uncontrollable, pointlessly complicated plugs that make things sound very odd, and sometimes in a good way.

That bloke Scott from Stilwell audio has a few real beauties in his shareware range.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Next