You are here

Thoughts on Orchid Electronics Passive Rack DI?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Thoughts on Orchid Electronics Passive Rack DI?

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi,

I've read great reviews of the Orchid Electronics Classic active di box and I'm wondering if anyone knows how their passive rack di comapares in regards to audio quality and performance?

http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/passive_rack_DI.htm
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Re: Thoughts on Orchid Electronics Passive Rack DI?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:27 am

It will all depend on the quality of the transformers in use, and I don't know what they are, I'm afraid. But I do know that the designer takes quality very seriously and has a lot of very demanding clients, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't very good.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dickiefunk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Hugh,

Yes I have heard so many good things about the Orchid Classic and Micro di boxes and am getting some of these for myself.

I am looking for a decent 8 channel rack di and immediately thought of Orchid Electronics based on the quality of their active DI boxes.

The only other affordable alternatives are the Behringer Ultra DI Pro 8000 and SM Pro Audio DI8E

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI800.aspx

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI800.aspx

The SM Pro DI8E is an active di box and am guessing the Behringer is aswell. I would be interested in knowing how they compare to the Orchid passive rack di?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Guy Johnson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Behringer boxes I used turned out to be noisy, I'd rather use a cheap passive. And I too can testify to the quality of the Orchid DIs, form owning then and meeting musos who use them at gigs and recordings.
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:08 pm

dickiefunk wrote:I am looking for a decent 8 channel rack di and immediately thought of Orchid Electronics based on the quality of their active DI boxes.

It might be worth phoning them up and seeing if they will do a custom active rack solution for you. It's the kind of thing he does...

I would be interested in knowing how they compare to the Orchid passive rack di?

I've not used either, I'm afraid, but I've heard discouraging comments about both in the past. The Orchid active DI's punch seriously far above their price point in terms of technical and sonic performance. Phone them up and enquire about the possibility of a custom multi-channel active rack DI... unless you specifically require transformer isolation.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dickiefunk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks Hugh,

Yes I'll ask Orchid Electronics about a possible custom active rack di. It is going to be used in a venue for keys, guitars and bass so I don't think I'll need transformer isolation? I've also heard discouraging experiences with both the Behringer and SM Pro units.

I'll definitely go with Orchid Electronics!
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster