You are here

Recommend me a new soundcard

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recommend me a new soundcard

Postby Chris of Arabia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:38 pm

I've just discovered that my relatively new Delta 1010 (the one with the external rack-mounted box) has been declared 'beyond economical repair', and as a result have been offered a full refund, or at least credit to that value due to when it was purchased. I now need a replacement...

I'd still like to have the similar connectivity options available to me, and if at all possible have a preference for one that connects through a PCI card. It's going on a PC running Windows 8 Professional 64-bit, and my main DAW software is still SONAR. Lastly, I'd like to keep the replacement under £500.00.

What would you recommend, as I've not gone card shopping for quite a while and the market looks to have moved on a bit from the last time I dipped my toe in the water.
Chris of Arabia
Poster

Re: Recommend me a new soundcard

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Check out the various MOTU interfaces for the best fit spec wise.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby rACed2 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 am

RME ?
rACed2
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 am

Whilst I'd always say RME if it was an option, I don't think he will get that many analogue inputs on RME unless he spends a fair bit more than £500.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Chris of Arabia » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 pm

As much as I'd love to go down the RME or MoTU route, the cost is looking rather higher than I'd want to she'll out at this point. As I also have a Focusrite 18i6 on the same PC, it would perhaps be more sensible to go with the 18i20, and keep the smaller unit for a portable set-up. At least that way, I'm keeping to a familiar interface and (probably) don't even have to concern myself too much about a different driver set. It's also difficult to ignore the fact that it has the right mix of connectivity options and features, even if it is done via USB. Thanks for the suggestions though.

>;o)
Chris of Arabia
Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:21 am

The Fousrite you have has an optical in, so you could add something like the Octopre MKii to gain extra inputs.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Chris of Arabia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:51 am

Richie Royale wrote:The Fousrite you have has an optical in, so you could add something like the Octopre MKii to gain extra inputs.

I think you might just have provided me with the answer there. I guess like most, I forgot all about the ADAT route in. It saves me a valuable USB in on the PC and doesn't stop me using the 18i6 in a portable form if I need it either. What's more it exactly matches the value of my refund. Win-Win-Win I think.
Chris of Arabia
Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 am

No problem.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster