You are here

Mono vs. Stereo Recording for Large Ensemble

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mono vs. Stereo Recording for Large Ensemble

Postby JRobPiano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:31 am

Hello all,

This is something of a follow up to my previous post on recording choir (thank you for the extremely helpful responses!). The concert is tomorrow and I have decided that I will try the ORTF miking with my matched NT5's with omni capsules as close as I can get without it being in the way.

I realize this is pretty much a complete newbie question, but I decided I would put it out there anyhow. Would it be in my best interest to record into one stereo track or put each microphone into a separate mono track?

Thank you so much for your input. I have learned so much since joining Sound On Sound and it is my sincere hope that I can pass the knowledge I have gained just the same as you all have been so helpful to me!
JRobPiano
Poster

Re: Mono vs. Stereo Recording for Large Ensemble

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 am

First up some confusion. Generally speaking you'd use cardioid microphones in an ORTF array.

Read these articles:

Stereo Miking Techniques 1

Stereo Miking Techniques 2

Here's schematic of it:

So if using ORTF use the cardioid capsules on the NT5s.

If you're using the omni caps, then you'd need to use a spaced array (or a Jecklin disk).

I'd opt for the spaced array.

Oh and I'd generally record to two mono channels myself, but it's not a big issue as you could always convert your stereo file to two monos if you had to.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster