You are here

On the fly drum trigger/audio muting?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

On the fly drum trigger/audio muting?

Postby christianmurphy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:23 am

I had no idea where in the forum to post this so just put it in the main room - Feel free to move mods..

So to try to explain I'll say what I'm trying to achieve first - Live drum triggers I can switch off and on in the middle of a performance via a pedal or triggered pad, on a budget. I just want to be able to layer up say a subby kick sound and snare clap with mic'd drums, but be able to drop it in and out (on choruses for example).

Been looking at something like the Nord Drum (original/cheapest one), but can see no way of hooking up some form of foot switch to control a mute, or switch to an empty bank? I really don't need a big drum module. All I'm after is 2 or 3 different kick/snare sounds. Either well synthesised or just something with a little SD input. An ideal piece of kit would be a small sampler with an SD card in with a super basic interface, then a few trigger inputs and some form of footswitch input. Unfortunately I don't think such a piece of kit exists!
If not this, possibly some sort of audio mute pedal I can put between the line out and DI box? I'm on quite a tight budget to be honest so, any suggestions welcomed?

Chris.
christianmurphy
Regular

Re: On the fly drum trigger/audio muting?

Postby benniferj » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 am

Guitar tuner with mute function? Like any cheap guitar stompbox.
benniferj
Regular

Re: On the fly drum trigger/audio muting?

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I agree with the above, an instrument/amp selector like the Behringer AB100 or similar is probably the cheapest option, you would need one per sound you wished to mute. Alternatively I guess the simplest option is pull the fader down, but I guess you want to do this mid track?

As for drum triggers, they triggers can be DIY

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/a ... -happy.htm
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster