You are here

Behringer B1031A

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Behringer B1031A

Postby Dee » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi, has anyone any opinion on the Behringer B1031A monitors? I know Behringer get slated at times but reviews of these speakers seem remarkably good. I find it impossible to a/b speakers instore so have to go by user reviews.
I have my eye on Rokit RP G2 and the VXT4 preowned on ebay (can get g2's for £300 new) . But with speakers, in particular, I'd prefer to buy new.

I'd appreciate any opinions. I'm currently using Samson Rubicon R8A's......
Dee
Regular

Re: Behringer B1031A

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 am

Hi

I had an older version of the Behringer Truths (can't remember the number). Possibly the worst musical purchase of my life.

Part of the problem may have been that they were too big for my room but I expect that I would have been disappointed in any sized space.

At some point I bought some Fostex PM4's to use for location recording. I set them up in my studio and was instantly impressed. Stereo imaging was many times better and mixes translated better onto other systems and rooms. Pretty soon after that I upgraded to a pair of Adams A5s and I've never looked back.

Chris
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 am

Cheers Chris.

Yeah, some older behringer gear does get rightfully slated. When I was the manager of a music store we took in the Behringer electric piano to try it out. Dear God......I got a phone call from Behringer HQ asking my feedback and let's just say it lasted quite a while and wasn't complimentary, despite the brilliant price!!

However, the feedback from users on amazon and site reviews of the b1031a's does seem remarkably good. I'm just wondering have Behringer turned a corner and released a well price AND more than decent monitor speaker?
Dee
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:16 am

Dee wrote: I'm just wondering have Behringer turned a corner and released a well price AND more than decent monitor speaker?

Then wonder no more - they haven't! These speakers ring badly at around 150Hz as a result of using dirt-cheap X-overs.

Insider tip - B&W DM600 S3 (but never the 601 or larger, these are rubbish!) and use a decent amp. Set the X-Over to 100Hz, block the reflex opening and add a couple of reasonable subs for a good 3-way system. You can also go for a couple of the smaller M&K hi-fi speakers and do the same.

But there ain't no such thing as a good, cheap, small, active, two-way system - it ain't gonna happen! A couple of really good (albeit used) passives with small drivers (look for M&K, B&W, K&H) and a couple of subs (or one and a controller) makes for a reasonable system at a reasonable price!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Dee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:25 am

So you're not a fan then Red Bladder

Thanks for replying mate, I'll look in to your recommendations.
Dee
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 am

Dee wrote:But with speakers, in particular, I'd prefer to buy new.

It is usually pretty safe to buy speakers used - especially some of the better makes which may well be down in your price range secondhand. Despite what the marketing men may have you believe, speaker technology hasn't improved that much in the last 30-40 years.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Dee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 am

Thanks James, that's good to know. I always presumed speakers would be quite "delicate" and prone to being a bit of a minefield pre-owned.

Any older brands that you would recommend that I can check on ebay?
Dee
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 am

James Perrett wrote:It is usually pretty safe to buy speakers used - especially some of the better makes which may well be down in your price range secondhand. Despite what the marketing men may have you believe, speaker technology hasn't improved that much in the last 30-40 years.

I agree with the buying of good used. And it 'sort-of' is true that the technology has hardly changed that much, but the better manufacturers have paid more attention in the past 10 years or so, to things other than just F response. The cheapo boys continue to boast proudly of how flat the F curve is, but remain remarkably quiet over things like time response and impulse response.

Those Behringers for example, are unbelievably flat from 60Hz - 10kHz, well within 5dB variation, so if all you had to go on were the F curve, you would wonder why every studio does not own a pair! But every studio has a pair of NS10s and they are very non-linear with a sharp peak at 1kHz and almost no bass, but have impulse and time responses to kill for!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Personally I like Tannoy speakers - their dual concentrics are a classic studio monitor design that still find favour today (and hence still command good prices). I've also liked the sound of their smaller speakers whenever I've heard them but I haven't actually used them for a session.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk