You are here

Recording a song - order

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording a song - order

Postby MW Media UK » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:47 pm

I have done lots of music production but not done much song recording.

I am going to be working on a project with a local singer and am after some advice.

Before she records vocals, how much of the music is best to get recorded/produced? Everything, just the basic guitar/piano parts? Any ideal order of recording I should be aware of?
MW Media UK
New here

Re: Recording a song - order

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:56 pm

It's different from one performer to another. Even if you do record all of the instrumentation you may find that your vocalist wants everything muted but the piano!

The best thing to do is to discuss with the vocalist in question to see how they feel about it.

And if you involve them in the thought process then they will be less likely to blame you for making the wrong choice!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mr.MixAlot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:08 am

The Elf wrote:It's different from one performer to another. Even if you do record all of the instrumentation you may find that your vocalist wants everything muted but the piano!

The best thing to do is to discuss with the vocalist in question to see how they feel about it.

And if you involve them in the thought process then they will be less likely to blame you for making the wrong choice!

This is usually how approach the situation. Anything you can do to assure the client that you are on their side and are flexible enough to work however they would like will help turn them into a repeat client. Good luck.
Mr.MixAlot
Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I would say that you want the main rhythm parts in place...drums, bass, rhythm guitar, piano possibly. If those sorts of instruments are going to be used, they need to have a pulse which the singer will react to. If you record say acoustic guitar or piano with a vocal first, you tend to find that that pulse is very different, and sometimes it's just impossible to then overdub the other elements in the way you want. It's catch 22 sometimes...the singer needs to hear the vibe of the track, and the band need to know what the vocal is doing. One way is to track some elements of the track together with a guide vocal, then do some more overdubs before going back over the vocal. The advantage of having a guide vocal early in the process is that overdubbed parts can work with the vocal rather than against it.

There are lots of ways to go...I've done things to a programmed shaker, I've started with drums and bass, and I've done a guide vocal and guitar live together in free time and then just overdubbed everything to that. Don't be afraid to start again if you think you're going wrong. Don't be afraid to nudge things a little bit if you have to. Don't be afraid to redo a part if it subsequently doesn't work. It's a lot easier when you have a band with defined parts who are rehearsed and toured. It's tricky when you're slightly writing as you go...the goalposts can move!

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:14 am

If those sorts of instruments are going to be used, they need to have a pulse which the singer will react to.

+1
CS70
Frequent Poster

Silver Spoon - It's just music!  Check out our latest single and video!