You are here

Process to make Sonic Space mixing Audio Rendered via MIDI

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Process to make Sonic Space mixing Audio Rendered via MIDI

Postby MoBuc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi...Open question to any and all MIDI Users-Trackers, who actully mix with Digital-audio that is Rendered from MIDI in their Projects (e.g. Kick Rendered from a VSTi Audio sample like found in N.I.'s Battery or Steinberg's Halion) : Do you process your 1st Compressions and-or EQ (within your DAW) as you would if Tracking the input of a live musician? (e.g. Thresholds,Roll-Offs, etc.)

I'm concerned about the samples used already having been processed & is not a Dry audio. e.g. the creator of the sample used in the Kick of the Kit probably has already added some basic Compression, EQ and maybe even Reverb-Delay or other Fx to the sample used. I'm looking for tips on developing Sonic Space in my mix when I may have to use pre-processed audio. :?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Re: Process to make Sonic Space mixing Audio Rendered via MIDI

Postby KeithAC1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 am

I was doing a lot of this yesterday, ie printing (bouncing) VST instrument tracks to audio to free up CPU power.

When doing this I tend to zero (reset fader to zero and bypass any insert plugins/EQ etc) the instrument track and bounce it. I then copy the exact same plugin chain, EQ and fader level to the printed track. This means I still have the full flexibility of further adjusting my signal chain by revisiting the insert and EQ settings on this new audio track.

Normally I would then leave the old instrument track disabled/muted with all processing bypassed so I can go back, edit the MIDI data and/or instrument itself, and then re-bounce to a new audio file if required.