You are here

RME Fireface 400 issue

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

RME Fireface 400 issue

Postby redcoat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am

Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can help.(setup is logic 9, quadcore mbp)

I'm having a very irritating problem with my rme fireface 400

Basically my left channel sounds distant,quiet and small compared to the correct sounding right channel.
It's not the speakers because when I change cables or pan opposite in total mix it's the same problem.

A friend of mine recently had the exact same issue and we are both now totally stumped!

Thanks in advance for any help
redcoat
Poster

Re: RME Fireface 400 issue

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:09 pm

redcoat wrote:Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can help.(setup is logic 9, quadcore mbp)

I'm having a very irritating problem with my rme fireface 400

Basically my left channel sounds distant,quiet and small compared to the correct sounding right channel.
It's not the speakers because when I change cables or pan opposite in total mix it's the same problem.

A friend of mine recently had the exact same issue and we are both now totally stumped!

Thanks in advance for any help

Faulty output jacks on RME gear are not unknown. Or you may have set up something silly in Totalmix (which basically needs leaving well alone unless you want to set up complex monitor mixes).

You'll get better help at the RME forum.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby The Elf » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Are you using the correct (balanced) cables?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:33 pm

The Elf wrote:Are you using the correct (balanced) cables?

Or making consistent use of unbalanced ones?

Is there anything else you aren't telling us? Peculiar wiring arrangements?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:12 pm

You would get this if you haven't pushed the output plugs in all the way -- and some plugs have oversized bodies that foul on adjacent plugs to prevent them being inserted correctly, so check that.

It's also possible that you'd get this effect if you are using an unbalanced cable (TS plugs) rather than a balanced one (TRS plugs).

Or maybe you've accidentally plugged into the wrong socket completely for one channel -- it happens!

Other than those simple mechanical possibilities, the most likely culprit is something daft on the totalmix software, and after that, a failure with the output drivers in the RME itself.

However, best to check the simple things again before panicing! It's very easy to misplug things or not see the obvious when you're reaching around the back of a unit in a rack or something.

When you say you have swapped cables etc, have you done this methodically, trying the good speaker plugged into the weedy output, and -- separately -- the 'weedy' speaker plugged into the good output? Sorry if I'm teaching grannie to suck eggs here, but its surprising how often people replug things illogically and then draw false conclusions.

Basically, we need to know that both speakers work correctly when fed from the 'good output' using their existing cables, and that both sound weedy when plugged into the bad output. If that's the case, then it is a problem with the RME and not the cables or speakers and we can focus our fault-finding in that area.

If one speaker remains weedy regardless of where it's plugged in, then it's a speaker or cable issue, obviously.

But do this individually with one speaker at a time to avoid problems with adjacent plugs fouling each other, and to avoid confusion with using the wrong output sockets inadvertently.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound