You are here

Recommendations for XP Audio Interface?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recommendations for XP Audio Interface?

Postby alexis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:00 am

Hi - I've got an XP laptop I'm going to try to use for audio recording and looking to buy an interface. My mic is an AT 4033a, used with a Reflexion Filter Pro (the original model). There will be a duvet behind the singer.

1 *Good* preamps, not excellent (like RME is excellent) is what I'm looking for. A two mic input (at least one with phantom power) is really all that is needed, with a separate headphone out that has a dedicated volume control.

2. But it would be extra nice if it had MIDI input as well.

3. Zero-latency monitoring would be nice, and being greedy, so would some zero-latency reverb, so the singer could hear some reverb in the cans.

4. An included stripped down version of Cubase would be great too (AI or LE) - I have Cubase 6.50 on my main desktop DAW.

I looked at the Steinberg UR and CI interfaces, but they aren't offered for Cubase XP. Similarly, for NI KA6.

Would anyone have any suggestions? I imagine something like $200-300 US is reasonable to expect to spend?

Here are a few options from Musicmatter.co.uk, for starters, the one thing I can't determine by reading them is the quality of the preamps ...

Thanks -
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: Recommendations for XP Audio Interface?

Postby alexis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:11 am

The Akai EIE Pro was reviewed in SOS May '12 , and it seems to have all the boxes checked except it has no DSP in zero-latency monitoring ... *with the caveat that* the *quality* of the preamps wasn't really addressed much beyond that they "offer a good deal of gain, and seem relatively noise-free".

That Akai EIE Pro, the Alesis IO4, and the Roland Quad Capture ( SOS user review of the Rolad device HERE , niggly downside is no Cubase software included) seem like the ones for the short list ... any suggesions/comments, especially on comparing the preamp/overall sound, would be much appreciated - thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2