You are here

Where to get a Sennheiser 421 Fixed?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Where to get a Sennheiser 421 Fixed?

Postby Persuazion » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I have two MD421s down. Strangely they were both bought on different occasions (second hand) but both failed in the same way at the same time. Peculiar, but it's definitely the mics themselves that aren't working and not cable or pre issues.

They've both ended up with no bottom end, basically like the roll off switches are stuck in the on position. Fiddling with the control doesn't do anything to the sound anymore.

Sending to Sennheiser sounds expensive but maybe its the only only choice I have?

Anyone any other ideas on where to send them?

Cheers all!
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Re: Where to get a Sennheiser 421 Fixed?

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 am

Dynamic mics often seem harder to fix than ribbons or capacitor mics, but if anyone in the UK can do it, it would be Stewart Tavener at Xaudia: www.xaudia.co.uk

Failing that, you could perhaps try Esa Tervala, but he is based in Switzerland I think, so it might not be worth while: www.panworks.net
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:10 am

I bought two MD421s for about fifty quid because the vendor thought they were broken and did not realise that they are wired differently to other mini-Tuchel mics and all he got was a thin sound.

Did you change the cable?
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Persuazion » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 am

Hi guys thanks for that. No Red the cable hadn't been changed. They're the more up to date XLR ones. I forget the model ?
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:36 am

Persuazion wrote:I have two MD421s down. Strangely they were both bought on different occasions (second hand) but both failed in the same way at the same time. Peculiar, but it's definitely the mics themselves that aren't working and not cable or pre issues.

They've both ended up with no bottom end, basically like the roll off switches are stuck in the on position. Fiddling with the control doesn't do anything to the sound anymore.

Sending to Sennheiser sounds expensive but maybe its the only only choice I have?

Anyone any other ideas on where to send them?

Cheers all!

Send them to Sennheiser UK in Marlow (Bucks.).

I would never have any of my microphones looked at by anyone other than the manufacturer or official distributor.

And Sennheiser UK *do* have a small anechoic chamber for testing mics.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Persuazion » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks guys. I'll email sennheiser and say John sent me
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Postby Persuazion » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Could you maybe give me a good contact email address, John?
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Postby Mixedup » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:58 am

John Willett wrote:I would never have any of my microphones looked at by anyone other than the manufacturer or official distributor.

If they're under warranty, maybe... but most manufacturer quotes for repairs on gear not under warranty — particularly for gear at this sort of price — have tended to come close to the street price for buying a replacement! At least, it was when I enquired about repairing one of my my MD421s
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:40 am

Persuazion wrote:Could you maybe give me a good contact email address, John?

Answered your PM with this information.

For the record, Sennheiser UK's new address is:-

Pacific House
Third Avenue
Globe Business Park
Marlow
Bucks
SL7 1YL

Tel: 0333-240-8181 or 01628-402-200
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby John Willett » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 am

Mixedup wrote:
John Willett wrote:I would never have any of my microphones looked at by anyone other than the manufacturer or official distributor.

If they're under warranty, maybe... but most manufacturer quotes for repairs on gear not under warranty — particularly for gear at this sort of price — have tended to come close to the street price for buying a replacement! At least, it was when I enquired about repairing one of my my MD421s

It depends on what is wrong with the mic. and labour charges are not inexpensive in this day and age.

However, a microphone is a precision instrument and I would always want it repaired by the real experts with the right equipment - IE: the manufacturer or his official agent.

The Gefell microphones I deal with all go back to the manufacturer in Germany for repair where, after repair, they are put back in the anechoic chamber that originally measured them and the repair is verified that the mic. is fully in spec. as originally manufactured - and the repair prices are very reasonable as far as I have seen so far.

I would not want any mic. of mine repaired any other way.

Martin Gathard at Sennheiser UK is the real expert for Neumann and Sennheiser repairs.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Mixedup » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:28 pm

One could make the same argument for servicing of cars — use only the main dealer, and only branded parts. It *is* an expensive option, whichever way you look at it. Whether it's the right option rather depends on who you choose to use as your alternative, and the value of the product that you're getting serviced. There's no point putting in a 1990s Ford Fiesta for a dealer service, and the same argument probably extends to a second-hand MD421... just buy another one. (I've had them for about £100, fully working...). A Gefell condenser mic is a little more towards the modern BMW end of the spectrum... which probably makes it worthwhile!
Mixedup
Frequent Poster