You are here

All round mic with an emphasis on Cello advice!!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

All round mic with an emphasis on Cello advice!!

Postby Trumpetman1234 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi all

I'm after an all round workhorse mic which I'd like to mainly record cello with, but also will do an ok job with anything else I throw at it. My budget is around £250. I've been recommended the Rode NT2A but have just been told by some "expert" that it's not great for the bottom end!

Any advice or alternatives gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

T-Man
Trumpetman1234
Poster

Re: All round mic with an emphasis on Cello advice!!

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Trumpetman1234 wrote:Hi all

I'm after an all round workhorse mic which I'd like to mainly record cello with, but also will do an ok job with anything else I throw at it. My budget is around £250. I've been recommended the Rode NT2A but have just been told by some "expert" that it's not great for the bottom end!

Any advice or alternatives gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

T-Man

Not great for the bottom end? I think the bottom note on a cello is C 65hz. The NT2a factory plot shows it as flat even at 40hz. The bottom end response of the NT2a is about the least of your worries, in my opinion. Others may differ of course...

Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:25 pm

I'd use a Rode NT5 on a cello. About £140 or so, you could buy an AT2020 with the change from £250
which would set you well up.

It's really fun, spending other people's money

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Number 1 in a field of 1.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:35 pm

The NT2a, from memory, is optimized for vocal use, so its top end would not be great for bowed string instruments. I seem to remember it had a 'grainy', rather than smooth top end too.

I'd be thinking a neutral condenser or a ribbon mic. What's the room like? CC's suggestion of an NT5 could be suplemented with the omni capsule in the NT55 version if you have a good acoustic.

I have used the Samson VR88 ribbon on cello very successfully, and this is particularly good if the player is looking for a smooth, rich sound. But there's a plethora of ribbon mics out there now, and I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions.

Another suggestion would be the Line CM3. These are great value wide cardioids with a smooth response. Haven't tried on cello as such, but should be very workable.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:CC's suggestion of an NT5 could be suplemented with the omni capsule in the NT55 version if you have a good acoustic.
+1

It's actually worth trying to find a good space to record in and using the NT55 omni. I've recorded cello and other strings in my mate's large kitchen with NT55 omni and the results are very nice indeed.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Jeraldo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:52 pm

I don't have any advice to offer, but what sort of space will be used for the recording?
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby Trumpetman1234 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi all,

Sorry for not responding sooner and thanks for all of the advice. Was asking for a friend so will pass on all of the words of wisdom!

T-Man
Trumpetman1234
Poster

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:04 pm

You might consider an Audio Technica 4033. I used a pair of them yesterday to record a cellist playing orchestral excerpts for an audition pre-screening, and they sounded great to me. However it was a nice recital hall, a beautiful 250 year old cello and a very good cellist.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 pm

a second hand Beyer mc740

so good on so many things….
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster
Location: UK *but works all over the place… mostly Europe based*

Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault, you picked the site/building/room

Postby twotoedsloth » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Can you get a Beyer MC 740 for $450?
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster