You are here

Channel seperation - recording question.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Channel seperation - recording question.

Postby Doctor. Bagu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:06 pm

(Apologies in advance if this is a very common 'noob' question, but I think it is somewhat over looked in the home-studio situation..)

okay, I have a behringer UB1202 (pictured below)
<br>

...And a PC based low budget recording studio.

My soundcard is a Creative sound blaster Audigy 4 (w/ line in , line in/mic and firewire inputs on the hub)

To cut to the chase, I sometimes record drums, or other multi-channel mic'd instruments. When the audio signal is input into my sound card it comes through as one channel in Cubase (SX3).

I was just wondering what the cheapest method would be to be able to send the mixer output, (preferably into only one input on the computer), but be able to mix the kick, snare (i.e: seperate channels) seperately within cubase.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated, Thank you.
Doctor. Bagu
RODE NT-1a, 2 x Samson C02 pencil condensors, Shure SM57, AKG D112, BehringerUB12Mixer w/PhantomPwr.CREATIVE Audigy 4 Soundcard Hub, Cubase SX3

Re: Channel seperation - recording question.

Postby gingertimmins » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:17 pm

To do this you need a sound card with multi ins/outs.
You would also need to ensure that each channel on your mixer has it's own out. On your mixer, I can only see a way of recording 2 individual channels at once.
to record a drum kit your are likely to need an 8 channel mixer/ pre amp and an 8 input soundcard.
You'll also need enough microphones.
Personally, I use an m-audio 1010LT soundcard which was a little over £100 and an 8 channel mixer with 8 direct outs.
Whatever signal goes through my mixer on channel 1, goes to input 1 of my soundcard and onto its own track in cubase.

hope that makes a bit of sense!!
You're looking at a few hundred quid to be honest!!!
gingertimmins
Regular

Postby Doctor. Bagu » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks...Yeah I s'pose everything in the music tech. world costs a fair bit anyway.

Shame, cos I have a perfectly nice sound card as it is...but you do what you have to do..

Someone said something about having a firewire mixer might help, the signal carried seperates each channel? I'm not sure..just for others reference really. I'm sorted. Well, once I get a job...

Thanks again!
Doctor. Bagu
RODE NT-1a, 2 x Samson C02 pencil condensors, Shure SM57, AKG D112, BehringerUB12Mixer w/PhantomPwr.CREATIVE Audigy 4 Soundcard Hub, Cubase SX3

Postby MaTr1x2051 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:41 pm

The firewire capabilities can sometimes be interfaced with your software to achieve multi channel setups. That's how my Pro Tools rig works... one firewire to the computer, but I can run 18 channels separately. See if you can find what programs your board can interface with via firewire.
MaTr1x2051
Regular

Postby Doctor. Bagu » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:13 pm

great thank you, this could be a cheaper option.

Thanks!
Doctor. Bagu

Postby JamesSimpson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Erm it wouldnt be a cheaper option, youd be buying a new mixer and a soundcard in one. Cheaper to just buy a soundcard with multi-ins. Sound cannot be seperated from one channel from one recording, just like you cannot split a stereo cd out into its seperate parts guitar drums bass.

Have a look at some firewire interfaces on the net. Presonus, Tascam, M audio, Alesis. All should be around a price suitable.

Perhaps this belongs in the newbie section?
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster