You are here

Mackie Overheated. Advice Needed.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mackie Overheated. Advice Needed.

Postby ken long » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, the 1604vlz by Mackie is not new but probably not vintage yet but as its discontinued, I was hoping this would be an appropriate place for this post.

I left a 1604 on overnight and the next morning found that it had shut down by itself and will not power up now. I suspect overheating (the room was very warm when I came in in the morning).

I have checked the fuse and it is still good.

Could anyone advise me on a possible fault and any possible DIY fixes?

Thank you for your time.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Re: Mackie Overheated. Advice Needed.

Postby Jeraldo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:34 pm

You've checked the obvious: checking the mains supply, and using a different power cord? I doubt that your room reached temperatures that would be detrimental to the Mackie, unless you left it in the sun or some similar condition.

Prior to this, have you had problems?
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby Tui » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Unless you know what you are doing, forget about the DIY approach. Take it to a qualified technician.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Jeraldo wrote:You've checked the obvious: checking the mains supply, and using a different power cord?

Yup.

I doubt that your room reached temperatures that would be detrimental to the Mackie

That's what I thought and the manual says it can easily be left on for days on end.

Jeraldo wrote:Prior to this, have you had problems?

I don't use it very often nor intensively but I've never had any issues.

Thanks for your time and reply.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby ken long » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi Tui,

Well there can't be too many reasons why its gone down and I suspect its down to the power supply somehow but I was really after confirmation from someone who may have had this happen to them and what steps they took to resolve the problem. If its a quick, easy fix, I would prefer to do it myself.

Thanks for your time and reply.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Mike Craig » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Ken,

When you say you checked the fuse, I take it you checked the fuse in the 3 pin plug as well as the mixer's internal fuse?

Mike.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby ken long » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:59 pm

Mike Craig. wrote:
...as well as the mixer's internal fuse?

Non. :blush:. Is this the same type as the one from the plug (i.e. Slo Blo???). Is it user serviceable?

Thanks Mike.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Mike Craig » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:06 pm

The internal fuse is rated at just 0.5 amps.

DISCONNECT THE MACKIE FROM THE MAINS BEFORE OPENING THE FUSE DRAWER.

The fuse drawer is just below where the power chord plugs into the desk.

You can test the fuse using a fluke (multimeter).

If you need to replace it, use a 0.5A (500mA) SLO BLO 5x20mm fuse.

NOTE: THIS FUSE RATING ONLY APPLIES TO 240V MACKIE MIXERS.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby ken long » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:29 pm

Mike Craig. wrote:The internal fuse is rated at just 0.5 amps.

DISCONNECT THE MACKIE FROM THE MAINS BEFORE OPENING THE FUSE DRAWER.

The fuse drawer is just below where the power chord plugs into the desk.

You can test the fuse using a fluke (multimeter).

If you need to replace it, use a 0.5A (500mA) SLO BLO 5x20mm fuse.

NOTE: THIS FUSE RATING ONLY APPLIES TO 240V MACKIE MIXERS.

Sorry Mike, I should have been more clear. that is the fuse I checked. Where is the other one located?
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Mike Craig » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Ken,

If you have checked the fuse in the 3 pin plug and also the 0.5A fuse within the unit, then you have checked both fuses.

There are no other user servicable parts with this desk, to my knowledge.

COntact Loud Technologies, who are the authorized Technical Support people for Mackie in the UK.

[email][Email]euservice@loudtechinc.com[/email]
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby Steve Hill » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Mike... Ken is in South Africa.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:07 pm

Steve Hill wrote:Mike... Ken is in South Africa.

My location clearly states The Orient. Or is this a veiled reference to an earlier posting of mine? ;)
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby ken long » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Mike Craig. wrote:

COntact Loud Technologies, who are the authorized Technical Support people for Mackie in the UK.

[email][Email]euservice@loudtechinc.com[/email]

Thanks! I did! I got their details from the Mackie website. I found a soemone who will service it not to far from me (Essex, because I live in East London ;) ). I thought perhaps I could do it myself.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby IvanSC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:18 am

There seem to be a lot of you guys out there who think that "servicing" an amp is a DIY job for someone with zero electronic skills.
Firstly, in 100% of cases, if an amp stops running it is not a case of servicing, but repairing something, even if that something IS only a fuse that has blown.
Fuses blow for a reason. They are in the circuit expressly to stop a localised failure taking out the whole shebang.
If you know nothing about electonics (as opposed to being able to change a fuse or fit a plug) you really should leave it to a pro.
This is dangerous stuff, folks.

And once again I will reiterate what I have said many times on here. Non-valve audio has no need of regular servicing, despite anything you are told by so-called engineers.

There isn`t usually anything inside the box that is going to wear out and need replacing automatically.

The only way you can be sure that a part needs replacing in electronics is when that part dies.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster

Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Postby Mike Craig » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 am

Changing the internal fuse on a Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO is a simple task that should be within the capabilities of most people who have even a modest level of technical knowledge.

If a mixer seems dead, then I would definately suggest checking the fuse before calling in the professionals, remembering to disconnect the mixer from the mains supply.

In fact, that's what it tells you to do in the manual.

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/1604vlzpro_om.pdf

If you replace the fuse and it blows again, then as Ivan says, call in the pros. ;)
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby ken long » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:10 am

IvanSC wrote:There seem to be a lot of you guys out there who think that "servicing" an amp is a DIY job for someone with zero electronic skills.

Mince alors! I'm not completely inept thank you!

IvanSC wrote:Firstly, in 100% of cases, if an amp stops running it is not a case of servicing, but repairing something, even if that something IS only a fuse that has blown.

Yes. That's what I want to do.

IvanSC wrote:
The only way you can be sure that a part needs replacing in electronics is when that part dies.

Agreed. In my case its most likely the power supply and it shouldn't be rocket science to replace.

I hope you can appreciate that I don't want to ask someone else to repair it when the job is likely to cost half what we paid for the unit in the first place.

Thanks for your input.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Tui » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:52 pm

I guess the point is, if you are technically competent, you might be able to save a few £s by repairing it yourself. However, should there be the slightest doubt that you might not fully understand all relevant issues to do with mains wiring and grounding, you might in the end pay for any errors not with £s, but with a few decades of your life span.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Well, sorry to dissappoint the nay sayers but have managed to pinpoint the problem down to the transformer and not the circuit board. Sure it took me while but I've saved money by doing it myself wiht a little common sense (and a little help from my friends!).

Anyway, its probably the thermal cutoffs and so I'll need to replace the entire transformer as they aren't accessible.

Its made by BILLION and its part number appears to be 600-006-01. I've been googling but this company doesn't seem to come up. Could anyone help?

Thanks for your time.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Tui » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Do you really think anybody here is going to be stupid enough to give you "advice" about how to mess around with the mains wiring of your gear? It's bad enough that you insist on behaving irresponsibly, considering that you obviously lack training and qualifications in servicing electronic equipment.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Craig » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Ken,

I have followed your plight with interest. Your ability to track down the component in question shows your competence is greater than we initially suspected.

You can send Billion an email, to find out if a replacement transformer is available (make sure the health and safety police aren't watching ;)):

sales@billion.com
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby ken long » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Tui wrote:Do you really think anybody here is going to be stupid enough to give you "advice" about how to mess around with the mains wiring of your gear?

I never asked for that. If you're not going to be helpful, probably best you refrain from posting replies. You certainly bring nothing to this thread and I don't appreciate your tone.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby ken long » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Thanks for the email address Mike.

FYI, I won't be replacing the transformer myself. Contrary to whatever others may think, I do know my limitations.

Thank you all for warning me of the potential hazards and any help you've offered me.

Much appreciated,

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Tui » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Mike Craig. wrote:Ken,

I have followed your plight with interest. Your ability to track down the component in question shows your competence is greater than we initially suspected.

You can send Billion an email, to find out if a replacement transformer is available (make sure the health and safety police aren't watching ;)):

sales@billion.com

I was wrong. Somebody was stupid enough.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Tui » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Ken Long wrote:
Tui wrote:Do you really think anybody here is going to be stupid enough to give you "advice" about how to mess around with the mains wiring of your gear?

I never asked for that. If you're not going to be helpful, probably best you refrain from posting replies. You certainly bring nothing to this thread and I don't appreciate your tone.

ken

Do you have any idea that SOS could be held liable for publishing "advice" that might be a risk to public safety? Obviously not.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:58 pm

Tui wrote:
Ken Long wrote:

ken

Do you have any idea that SOS could be held liable for publishing "advice" that might be a risk to public safety? Obviously not.

Is that so? Guess you haven't read their disclaimers:

YOU remain personally responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless SOS Publications Limited and Infopop Corporation (the makers of UBB.threads forum software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).
We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of SOS Publications or any entity associated with the SOS Forum.

However the rules do state that you shouldn't insult other people. Like calling them 'stupid' for instance.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Tui » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:04 pm

A little while ago, we had a thread about grounding that was far less contentious than this one. It was locked by the mods, and rightly so.

How would you describe the act of giving potentially dangerous advice to complete strangers, over the net no less?
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Craig » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:10 pm

Good luck Ken.

Tui, I would never encourage anyone to service or repair electrical equipment containing lethal voltages unless they have demonstated the necessary competence.

I think my previous posts reflect this.

I can't remember the last time anyone called me "stupid", but I am certainly not going to rise to it on this occasion.

Ken, establish whether a replacement transformer is available then send me a PM - don't try and fix it yourself.

Mike.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby Tui » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:18 pm

Mike Craig. wrote:
Tui, I would never encourage anyone to service or repair electrical equipment containing lethal voltages unless they have demonstated the necessary competence.

You contradict yourself, since you have done just that. [/quote]

Mike Craig. wrote:

I can't remember the last time anyone called me "stupid", but I am certainly not going to rise to it on this occasion.

I have no interest in insulting you, or anybody else.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby snipsnip » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:01 pm

get a life tui

:boring:
snipsnip
Regular

Postby ken long » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:33 pm

Well, Billion don't have it in stock but said they can source one for $60 including air freight - that is, assuming its all down to the transformer.

I must admit I'm rather exasperated at the prospect of losing this mixer over such a trivial issue :frown:.

Unfortunately, it appears that repairing it will end up costing more than its worth.

So I was wondering what I could do with it? eBay for parts? Any suggestions?

Thanks

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Next