You are here

Singer's pulled tooth and consequent sonic differences;

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Singer's pulled tooth and consequent sonic differences;

Postby Tunewolf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm recording a singer who has recently, (-in the middle of an extended series of recording sessions) had an abscessed top molar (2nd from the back on the right) pulled.

It's been a while now -and it has completely healed, -but there's now certain sonic differences with his vocals in certain places of songs that are proving to be problematic.

Not that this singer can immediately afford an implant/replacement tooth anyway, -but the dentist informed him that the bone has receded so much, (from gingivitis) that they would have to operate to move the sinuses on that side of his face before they could screw in such an implant/tooth replacement, (a procedure costing some $15,000.00).

This is an operation that he is simply unwilling to do in any case.

-Apparently a "partial plate" would cost about $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 -but he can't even afford that at the moment.

(-And I don't really know if that would even help with the singing...)

I have to believe that this sort of situation -comes up, often enough.

-I'm wondering if there's any cheaper temporary plastic -or rubber tooth -or even some sort of plug that could fill in the hole in the side of this singers mouth, that would rectify matters ?

I do vaguely recall, years ago, seeing a singer on TV spit some white bits out of their mouth after a song, that looked either like teeth or chicklets, -I wonder if that was what was going on?

-Has anyone heard of any such cases ?
Tunewolf
Poster

Re: Singer's pulled tooth and consequent sonic differences;

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:53 pm

I had a molar (bottom) removed 6 days ago.

I haven't noticed a difference in my singing, it's just as bad as before, but my mouth still feels 'different' and I could imagine that it will take a little while longer to get used to it - if I ever do.

What do you term 'a while'? If it's less than a month then he probably hasn't fully adjusted yet.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Brian M Rose » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 pm

I went the other way, recently having a full set of dentures and yes, it has affected my voice. I work with a great voice artist and voice trainer, Joanne Zorian-Lynn. She has written a book called The Business Book of Tongue-Twisters. It has some really great exercises which although aimed at presenters, could well work with singers as well. You can order it on Amazon.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Tunewolf wrote:-I'm wondering if there's any cheaper temporary plastic -or rubber tooth -or even some sort of plug that could fill in the hole in the side of this singers mouth, that would rectify matters ?

I do vaguely recall, years ago, seeing a singer on TV spit some white bits out of their mouth after a song, that looked either like teeth or chicklets, -I wonder if that was what was going on?
I think these are called flippers & there are snap-on alternatives which are supposed to be better but are more expensive. They're fairly brittle, so that may be what you've seen on TV if it's fractured. Might be something worth googling though. I recall some Hollywood A-lister demonstrating his flipper during a TV interview, that he'd had made following an accident on set so he could continue filming without surgery. I appreciate you're not working with a Hollywood budget, & it might not even help, but no harm in him asking. Tell him to explain it's a temporary fix & not for use 24/7, it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

If you can get someone to commit to an imaginary man, you can get them to commit almost anything.

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:40 am

Since I'm also coming to terms with a gap I Googled a 'Flipper' and I see that it's the same thing I remember my Father having many years ago. The reason that I recognise it is because he never wore the damn thing and it sat for years in a cup hanging up in the kitchen cupboard where you would come across it every so often. Maybe it's still there - I'll check next time I visit (just because it's been unused for 40 years - that would be no reason for my parents to throw it out).

Anyway, whilst looking it up I spotted that they cost between $300 - $500.

I would suspect that it may have a bigger effect on a singer than having a gap. It is reported that some patients can't eat with them in - its all about cosmetics.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

(-"FLIPPERS" ! ) re pulled tooth & consequent sonic differences;

Postby Tunewolf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:
Tunewolf wrote:-I'm wondering if there's any cheaper temporary plastic -or rubber tooth -or even some sort of plug that could fill in the hole in the side of this singers mouth, that would rectify matters ?

[quote= "Music Wolf"]
I had a molar (bottom) removed 6 days ago. I haven't noticed a difference in my singing, it's just as bad as before, but my mouth still feels 'different' and I could imagine that it will take a little while longer to get used to it - if I ever do.

What do you term 'a while'? If it's less than a month then he probably hasn't fully adjusted yet.

{ -it's been over a couple of months now, -I'm pretty sure that his mouth has fully healed, it's only one tooth, not like a Chet Baker case -but it's perhaps a critic tooth that's missing here, what with his particular vocal technique etc.}

-Also Music Wolf;
Since I'm also coming to terms with a gap I Googled a 'Flipper' and I see that it's the same thing I remember my Father having many years ago. The reason that I recognise it is because he never wore the damn thing and it sat for years in a cup hanging up in the kitchen cupboard where you would come across it every so often. Maybe it's still there - I'll check next time I visit (just because it's been unused for 40 years - that would be no reason for my parents to throw it out).

Anyway, whilst looking it up I spotted that they cost between $300 - $500.

I would suspect that it may have a bigger effect on a singer than having a gap. It is reported that some patients can't eat with them in - its all about cosmetics.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

I think these are called flippers & there are snap-on alternatives which are supposed to be better but are more expensive.

They're fairly brittle, so that may be what you've seen on TV if it's fractured.

Might be something worth googling though. I recall some Hollywood A-lister demonstrating his flipper during a TV interview, that he'd had made following an accident on set so he could continue filming without surgery.

I appreciate your not working with a Hollywood budget, & it might not even help, but no harm in him asking.

Tell him to explain it's a temporary fix & not for use 24/7, it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

-Also by Brian M Rose » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 pm

I went the other way, recently having a full set of dentures and yes, it has affected by voice. I work with a great voice artist and voice trainer, Joanne Zorian-Lynn. She has written a book called The Business Book of Tongue-Twisters. It has some really great exercises which although aimed at presenters, could well work with singers as well. You can order it on Amazon.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Thanks very much to Music Wolf, Brian M Rose, Dynamic Mike of SOS, and a guy at Gearslutz who suggested that a bit of creative EQing may even bring certain of the new vocal tracks into the former sound of said singer. (-I need a better EQ though ! )

I bet, -in the long run that Brian M Rose's direction is wise to pursue re vocal techniques & exercises.

However, Music Wolf & Dynamic Mike thankfully, have told me what I wanted to hear, -or rather what I kind of suspected was out there in the way of temporary solutions re these, "Flippers" !

-$300 to $500 is affordable for this lead singer, -considering what is at stake.

Now it is just a matter of finding out where such, "FLIPPERS" can be bought, and the best quality & price. ( -I sure hope this does the trick for this hard working musician.)

Thanks,
Tunewolf
Tunewolf
Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:51 pm

The dentist would not 'remove the sinus', in this instance the maxillary sinus, but would perform a sinus lift to elevate the sinus floor.

Gingivitis does not result in bone loss, but periodontitis does. There is no causal link between gingivitis and periodontitis, although gingivitis is a risk factor.

Having any removable prosthesis in the mouth is much more likely to cause a change in how someone speaks or sings rather than a space in the maxillary molar region.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Apologies, I misread, you did say move the sinus, which is correct.

Sorry!
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Tunewolf » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the "Temptooth" ?

It is inexpensive and can be molded and shaped to the required size.

Although It may not be the "best" option, it is perhaps something to try, -apparently It is inexpensive and can be molded and shaped to the required size..

Brighter Image Lab, makers of the very affordable "Press on Veneers" might have been a solution -but in this case the missing tooth is 2nd from the back, and the "press on veneers" they make have only 10 teeth on them, so it does not go that far back into the mouth.

"Flippers" tend to be a more expensive substantial direction. -I'm still looking into that. I understand that children actors sometimes use "Flippers".

Has any one had singer-success a product called "Temptooth" ?
Tunewolf
Poster