You are here

Focusrite Clarett Octopre, 8Pre and 2-way ADAT

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Focusrite Clarett Octopre, 8Pre and 2-way ADAT

Postby stormymondays » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Sorry for the dumb question...

I'm looking to increase the I/O of my RME Fireface 802, so I can hook up more external hardware. :bouncy:

Can I use the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre (Thunderbolt) as a 2-way ADAT IO, without using the Thunderbolt connection? I can get the Clarett Octopre and the 8Pre for almost the same price, so maybe it's a good idea to get the one with more features.

The SOS review for the Focusrite Clarett Octopre makes a big deal of its two-way ADAT connectivity. That's something I would have taken for granted, so I'm happy that the review pointed out that it's not all that common.

So - will it work with no computer connection? Does it have 2-way ADAT as well?

I guess I could also hook it up to my MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt and create an aggregate device, but somehow I doubt it will work flawlessly...
stormymondays
Poster

Re: Focusrite Clarett Octopre, 8Pre and 2-way ADAT

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 pm

The Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt will work as a stand-alone mixer, though you'd need to hook it up to the computer and use the Focusrite Control utility to actually configure the routing. Each output pair can receive any combination of inputs, so yes, it should be possible to set it up so that analogue inputs 1-8 are routed to ADAT outputs 1-8 and vice versa. I suggest you fire a quick email Focusrite's way to confirm this, though!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:00 am

stormymondays wrote:I guess I could also hook it up to my MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt and create an aggregate device, but somehow I doubt it will work flawlessly...

It's funny - people keep telling me that aggregate devices are bad / don't work / bring about the apocalypse, but I use them just fine. Guess I must be doing it wrong...
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby stormymondays » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:12 am

Hey Dave, please tell me more about your setup! :)
stormymondays
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 am

If you only need line level inputs then take a look at the Ferrofish range.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby stormymondays » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 pm

I've decided not to overcomplicate the setup, the Clarett Octopre does what I need. Also considering the Ferrofish, thanks!
stormymondays
Poster