You are here

Should I replace my ageing MOTU converters

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Should I replace my ageing MOTU converters

Postby mat6066 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:48 pm

In my studio I use 4 MOTU units for A/D D/A conversion. I have two 1224 units that operate at a maximum of 48k and two 2408 Mk3 units that operate at a maximum of 92k. For recording, I use the inputs on my 1224 unit (its converters are 128x oversampling with a S/N ratio of 116dBfs) and the ADAT inputs on my Mk3 unit, sending audio from a Focusrite 428 (its converters have a S/N ratio of better than 120dBfs 'A weighted'). The audio is sent to summing mixer from the outputs of the units (the 1224 D/A conversion spec is the same as its A/D whilst the the Mk3 D/A converters are 128x oversampling with a S/N ration of 106dBfs. Finally, I print the mix back into my DAW via the 1224.

I record drums at 96k and dither down for editing/mixing. Everything else I record either at 44.1 or 48.

Given all this. what improvement in sound quality would I get (if any) from replacing this rather ageing set up with something more modern? I'm considering units from RME, Antelope, Focusrite and MOTU.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mat
mat6066
Regular

Re: Should I replace my ageing MOTU converters

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:27 pm

mat6066 wrote:Given all this. what improvement in sound quality would I get (if any) from replacing this rather ageing set up with something more modern?

There is no doubt that converter performance has improved over recent decades. The average dynamic range today is around 117dB (A-WTD), with the very best pushing beyond 120dB (A-WTD) -- and its broadly the same for A-D as D-A. Off the top of my head, I think the lowest dynamic range I've measured in recent years was about 107dB (A-WTD), and that was a Behringer Ada8200 which is still a very usable product...

Having said that, these numbers really tell you more about the calibre of the internal engineering of the products, rather than their audible quality -- the sound differences in ageing converters compared to more modern units is very, very, small and quite subtle, and you'd need very, very good monitoring conditions to be able to hear it in most cases.

Where you might pick up on the weaknesses of older converters is when recording sources with high levels of HF -- like cymbals and snare drums, etc -- and peaking at high levels (ie, tracking with minimal headroom) and at base sample rates (44/48k), since those conditions are more likely to reveal any aliasing issues... But if you're happy to work at 96kHz you avoid all those risks so it won't be a problem anyway (assuming good quality SRC algorithms).

Personally, I'd only consider changing the converters when you ~know~ they have become the weakest link in the signal chain. Usually the recording/monitoring room acoustics are the weak-link... and then the monitoring speakers... and then the mics... I still routinely use an old Apogee PSX100, because while I have other, technically better converters, it still sounds fine for the majority of purposes.

And why worry about the difference in dynamic range between 106 and 120dB when the source recordings probably struggle to exceed 60dB anyway, and the CD/mp3 release format only manages 90dB?

Finally -- and intended as positive education for you and other readers rather than nit-picking -- I fear some confusion in the terminology and potential for misunderstandings...

... I use the inputs on my 1224 unit (its converters are 128x oversampling with a S/N ratio of 116dBfs

A ratio, like a signal-to-noise or dynamic range ratio, is expressed simply in decibels or dB. Adding a suffix, like 'u' or 'FS' indicates that the number relates to a defined reference level, and turns the ratio into an absolute value.

So, if you have a signal level of, say -20dBFS, and apply 6dB of gain, you end up with a signal level of -14dBFS, and the system might have a S/N ratio of 100dB...

I record drums at 96k and dither down for editing/mixing.

'Dithering' relates to a reduction in word-length, such as from 24-bits to 16-bits. What you're describing is 'sample-rate conversion' (SRC) from 96k to 44.1k (or whatever).

Hope that helps.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby mat6066 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks as ever, Hugh for your thoughtful and detailed reply. Apologies for the sloppy use of terminology! :blush:

There does seem to be a wide range of views on the subject (I posted the same query on Gearslutz) so I'm going to audition a few different units next week against my current system (the Orion Studio, an RME Fireface UFX2 with Ferroface A32 and a second hand Apogee Symphony set up with an AD16X and a DA16X) to see if I can hear perceptible differences/improvements. I shall post my conclusions.

Cheers,
Mat
mat6066
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:10 pm

mat6066 wrote:There does seem to be a wide range of views on the subject...

Naturally! ;-)

I posted the same query on Gearslutz...

Ah. As a general rule of thumb, I would expect GS to be in favour of the latest, most fashionable and most expensive alternatives, because they are AWESOME and everything else SUCKS...

:lol:

so I'm going to audition a few different units next week against my current system

Good idea... But best done as a true double-blind comparison to avoid the effect of confirmation bias.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby mat6066 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Actually the GS responses were far more measured than I'd expected - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much ... st12579420

If I may enquire, Hugh, what's the best way of testing the units in a double-blind experiment?
I'm presuming sources such as a drum kit with some cymbals and an acoustic guitar would be the best choices to put the converters through their paces. To make it double blind, should I ask a friend to do the recording without them knowing which unit is being used and with me not present?

Cheers,
Mat
mat6066
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:58 pm

mat6066 wrote:Thanks as ever, Hugh for your thoughtful and detailed reply. Apologies for the sloppy use of terminology! :blush:

There does seem to be a wide range of views on the subject (I posted the same query on Gearslutz) so I'm going to audition a few different units next week against my current system (the Orion Studio, an RME Fireface UFX2 with Ferroface A32 and a second hand Apogee Symphony set up with an AD16X and a DA16X) to see if I can hear perceptible differences/improvements. I shall post my conclusions.

Cheers,
Mat

There's a wide range of views on most subjects simply because physics does not require to know what you're talking about before talking. :)

When you test, make sure you don't know what's what. Otherwise you're gonna easily fool yourself.
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video! 
And if you like it, tells us at the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:34 am

mat6066 wrote:If I may enquire, Hugh, what's the best way of testing the units in a double-blind experiment?

It's actually quite tricky to get right. In a 'blind' comparison the listener doesn't know what they are listening to, but the person running the test does. In a double-blind comparison neither the person listening, nor the operator know which example is which until after the test. In that way there can be no subconscious direction, no language that subtly suggests which is the new shiny converter and which is the old converter...

I'm presuming sources such as a drum kit with some cymbals and an acoustic guitar would be the best choices to put the converters through their paces. To make it double blind, should I ask a friend to do the recording without them knowing which unit is being used and with me not present?

Yes, pick some typical sources, and get someone else to label the files in such a way that you have no idea what is what. The really critical challenge, though, will be in making sure that the levels are identical through each converter -- in both the digital and analogue domains -- since small level changes can have a big effect psychoacoustically.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby mat6066 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks Hugh. Much appreciated.
mat6066
Regular