You are here

SPL hardware with a DAW

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

SPL hardware with a DAW

Postby Pitchfork » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 am

A quick simple question! I am looking at an SPL Vitalizer for my mixdowns (hardware not the plug in) and wondered on the best way to connect?

I am upgrading my Soundcard, so do I need one with at least 4 in/out, so i can put the SPL on sends returns for different channels and then on the final mix render?

Or... do I just put it on the output of the Soundcard > SPL > record to another Computer/DAT/Recorder?

Is there a simpler way to do this so its always connected on ins/outs or sends/returns so i can use it on various channels?

Thanks for any help
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Re: SPL hardware with a DAW

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 14, 2017 10:17 am

The easiest and most versatile solution is to acquire an interface with sufficient spare I/O to allow the SPL unit (and any other outboard) to be permanently attached. You can then patch the unit(s) into the signal path as needed using the DAW's internal routing facilities.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:17 am

Pitchfork wrote:A quick simple question! I am looking at an SPL Vitalizer for my mixdowns (hardware not the plug in) and wondered on the best way to connect?

I am upgrading my Soundcard, so do I need one with at least 4 in/out, so i can put the SPL on sends returns for different channels and then on the final mix render?

Or... do I just put it on the output of the Soundcard > SPL > record to another Computer/DAT/Recorder?

Is there a simpler way to do this so its always connected on ins/outs or sends/returns so i can use it on various channels?

Thanks for any help

Yes, you need an interface with many line ins/out and good converters since the signal is going in and out of the box potentially many times.
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 14, 2017 12:15 pm

CS70 wrote: ...and good converters since the signal is going in and out of the box potentially many times.

Back in the mid-90s a colleague and I sat down and transferred analogue audio back and forth between two Sony professional DAT recorders (a PCM7030 and PCM7040), specifically to create a demo of how many paths through good (but not esoteric) A-D/D-A converters it took before audible degradation was heard.

Most people couldn't hear any losses at all until at least 35 generations. In really good monitoring conditions with experienced listeners, it was possible to hear some very subtle losses after 12-15 generations.

...And converters have become a lot, lot better than those since then.

So a quick loop out of a decent interface and back once or twice really isn't going to trouble anyone... especially since the whole point of going out to external hardware and back is to modify the sound anyway!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:So a quick loop out of a decent interface and back once or twice really isn't going to trouble anyone... especially since the whole point of going out to external hardware and back is to modify the sound anyway!

H

Good to know since I use for the moment a RME Multiface I and I find myself doing these loops a lot :)
CS70
Frequent Poster

Postby Pitchfork » Sun May 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Thank you for the replies on this, are there any smaller USB Interfaces that spring to mind, say 4 in 4 out to add a peice of hardware like this?

I was thinking of something very cheap and basic like an Edirol UA-25ex as it has Optical, MIDI but is only 2 in 2 out..
Also I'd be using (and swapping) between Mac OS X and Windows 10 for compatibility
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon May 15, 2017 6:57 am

Depends what you mean by 'cheap' Pitchfork but the NI KA6 runs out around £165.00.

Very compact and beejew! Totally bus powered so no rat to add to the clutter.

The top knob makes it a nice monitor output device as well.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Thank you for the replies on this, are there any smaller USB Interfaces that spring to mind, say 4 in 4 out to add a peice of hardware like this?

I was thinking of something very cheap and basic like an Edirol UA-25ex as it has Optical, MIDI but is only 2 in 2 out..
Also I'd be using (and swapping) between Mac OS X and Windows 10 for compatibility

Plenty! Focusrite, Presonus, Steinberg, etc - just head to Thomann to get an idea.

One small note that can be helpful, depending on your physical setup: many 4x4 interfaces have two i/o in front and two in the back, which works fine but is not so nice when it comes to cable management. An interface with back inputs/outputs only can be a bit more neat.
CS70
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon May 15, 2017 1:46 pm

CS70 wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:Thank you for the replies on this, are there any smaller USB Interfaces that spring to mind, say 4 in 4 out to add a peice of hardware like this?

Plenty! Focusrite, Presonus, Steinberg, etc - just head to Thomann to get an idea.

One small note that can be helpful, depending on your physical setup: many 4x4 interfaces have two i/o in front and two in the back, which works fine but is not so nice when it comes to cable management. An interface with back inputs/outputs only can be a bit more neat.

The KA6 has 3/4 in and 3/4 out on the rear.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pitchfork » Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 am

Fantastic Answers as always, Gents...

Thank you again
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster