You are here

Soundcraft Signature 16 or ... ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Soundcraft Signature 16 or ... ?

Postby jellyjim » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:25 am

Hello

Rather than recommend me a mixer I'm gonna try it the other way round. The Soundcraft Signature 16 looks great (though I haven't done a huge amount of research). Does anybody want to try and talk me out of it? :)

Budget is around £500. It's to serve a basic hardware studio (DSI OB-6, Blofeld, MPC, Yamaha Reface CP, some Eurorack stuff) with occassional mic'd sources.

Thanks
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Soundcraft Signature 16 or ... ?

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:43 pm

jellyjim wrote:The Soundcraft Signature 16 looks great (though I haven't done a huge amount of research). Does anybody want to try and talk me out of it? :)

Budget is around £500. It's to serve a basic hardware studio (DSI OB-6, Blofeld, MPC, Yamaha Reface CP, some Eurorack stuff) with occassional mic'd sources.

Thanks

Yup! With what you want to do, these days I wouldn't be considering a mixer, but rather an audio interface...

... but then we've been round that block many times with many people! :)

If you really must have a mixer then also check-out the ZED series from Allen & Heath and also some of Yamaha's offerings...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby jellyjim » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:29 pm

No computers for this particular project/area of interest. It's all about quick takes, rapid writing process; an evening gathering ideas, an evening arranging (hardware sequencer) and then an evening mixing and recording straight to a stereo master. Hands on, no presets, no recall, are all advantages in this scenario! Plus what agility I have left in my computer-use damaged hands I want to save for playing musical instruments not clicking mice :)
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby resistorman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:43 pm

I've used their efx12 mixer for some years, and it sounds very good. I would expect the Signature 16 to sound even better. Sorry, I can't come up with an argument against it :headbang:
resistorman
Regular

Postby Frank Rideau » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:19 pm

I have the signature 12. The eq are awesome, some nice Ghost preamp as well. One strange things is that there is no power switch and the power cable input is under the mixer.
It's good to know, if you use the USB version, that USB out to your computer will happen immediately after the gain and before the EQ, so you cannot EQ your recording with the desk. But then you can just get the signal back from your computer at the same point and let it pass into the channel strip. In other word, you could route the signal to your computer for plug in processing and back into the units for live mixing.
I also used this desk to record a band. The recorded tracks where going to the computer via the USB out of each channel, and I used the desk to create a mix for the band to monitor the recording via headphones. After a little bit of EQ and reverb from the FX, the band was amazed by the sound they had in the headphones, everyone felt at home. Performance was delivered and I was happy.
There is no return on the channel (except if you use your computer as a return FX like I mentioned).
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Postby The Korff » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:01 am

Yup, they're very useful things! But if you could stretch your budget a little, you could also consider one of the Midas Venice U or F (USB or Firewire) mixers, which do the same 'built-in interface' thing as the Soundcraft Signatures. The Midases don't include effects, and nor do they have the compressors on the mono channels like the Soundcraft does, but they're much more rugged, and probably have a slight edge in terms of sonics too. They started going really cheap when (IIRC) they were kinda unofficially discontinued...?
The Korff
Frequent Poster