You are here

Sample libraries at 48kHz

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sample libraries at 48kHz

Postby Elephone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello. I'm just wondering (because I always work at 44.1kHz) when a sample library plays samples recorded at 48kHz, does Kontakt convert them to 44.1kHz in realtime?

I've only got drum libraries sampled at 48kHz, so I don't know if Kontakt plays them at the wrong speed or converts them (I can't check notes). If I wanted them to play at the original pitch, would I have to raise them in Kontakt by the right amount (i.e. semitones+cents)?

Also, I tried converting a duplicate of one instrument's samples to 44.1kHz, and Kontakt didn't like it at all. It actually altered the original samples, cutting them short and introducing some strange high-pitched sounds and clipped ends.

I understand the length of the sample will be affected, but I didn't realise Kontakt altered the original samples. It looked pretty complicated to reset the start/end points of each sample, and some of them had been permenantly mangled.

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Sample libraries at 48kHz

Postby Elephone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:14 pm

P.S. I know one way to tell might be to create an instrument using 48kHz samples, but I don't know if these settings are determined by complex Kontakt scripts or what. I'm not too clever with such things.

Incidentally, is there any way to prevent Kontakt from permentantly altering original samples, so it can only read them? Do I set them to 'Read Only'?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Do they have to be in a specific format for Kontakt to play them in which case it would handle them seamlessly surely?
The issue seems to be when mixing sample rates and the software doesn't automatically handle that. In that case the pitch would be altered but doesn't most software handle that these days?

A quick test might be to listen to one of the source files if they are accessible directly, via a media player and compare the pitch from there with that Kontakt in standalone mode puts out. You can also do the same with Kontakt hosted in a DAW with the project set to 44KHz.
A ~10% difference will be noticeable.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:55 am

AFAIK, it is the job of the sample playback engine to convert the samples being played back to whatever the sample rate is that the DAW tells it the project is working at. You can load any samples of any rate into it - think lower instead of higher as some old 'crunchy' samples had reduced rates - and the engine should just sort it all out.

Think of hardware - a lot of old ROMplers had digital outs and most of the samples were actually recorded at 32k. The engine has to sort it all out before it hits the digital out.

Likewise, using 48k samples for 96k project would result in very strange sounds unless the engine sorted things out (although in that case, it would be an easy task).

:)
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Dave B wrote:AFAIK, it is the job of the sample playback engine to convert the samples being played back to whatever the sample rate is that the DAW tells it the project is working at. You can load any samples of any rate into it - think lower instead of higher as some old 'crunchy' samples had reduced rates - and the engine should just sort it all out.

Agreed - when you play a handful of keys on your keyboard the playback engine has to convert whatever samples there are across the keyboard range to play back at the perfect rate such that each of those notes emerges at the correct pitch, whatever sample rate your project is actually running at.

In other words, you can effectively forget about the sample rate of the libraries themselves - it's all taken care of for you automatically :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am

Elephone wrote:I've only got drum libraries sampled at 48kHz, so I don't know if Kontakt plays them at the wrong speed or converts them (I can't check notes).
In Kontakt the sample rate does not affect pitch. If you're creating an instrument you tell Kontakt what the pitch is by mapping it on the keyboard and deciding on a pitch and key range. If you set pitch and key range to be the same single note, the pitch will be the same as it was recorded originally, regardless of sample rate.

So as Martin says, if you already have a Kontakt instrument where the sound was recorded at 48kHz, you don't need to do anything because it has been done for you.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop