You are here

A couple of sounds

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

A couple of sounds

Postby Biscuits » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi,
In a few months time I am required, as A-level coursework, to produce a multi-track recording of an existing song. For this I've chosen 'Crooked Teeth' by 'Death Cab For Cutie', you may have heard it, maybe not. Basically I have successfully demoed most of the track at home, but there are two sort of swooshing sounds after the first chorus that I can't work out how to get.

The song is here- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UBkQuoIjnJg

They occur at 1:08 and 1:13 ish.

Any help regarding how I'd achieve these sounds would be greatly appreciated!

Danny

(I do realise this is school work, but for some reason I couldn't post in that thred, so sorry and please move it if you can!)
Biscuits
Poster

Re: A couple of sounds

Postby coojuice » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:43 pm

It sounds like a reverse crash with a flanger effect on it to me. Should be fairly easy to replicate.

What DAW are you using?

Get a sample of (or record) a crash, reverse it and add a flanger effect to it.

Hope this helps
coojuice
Regular

Postby Biscuits » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:40 pm

We're using Cubase 4, so that'd be do-able. We have a proper studio at school too so I'll record it in.

I had an inkling it might be that, but wasn't sure, any idea on the second one? It sounds more synthesized...

Thanks for the help!
Biscuits
Poster

Postby coojuice » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:32 pm

There is only that sound that occurs around those times you mentioned. It starts at 1:09 and finished at 1:11.

Are you thinking of the swooshy noise that goes along with the reverse crash? That is the Flanger
coojuice
Regular

Postby Jonnypopisical » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi - yea the sound just after the reverse cymbal is a synth resonant sweep in 'self oscillation'. You may be able to find something similar from a sample CD of synth noises or you could program your own using a analogue style synth (real or virtual). Crank up the filter resonance till it 'sings' and then assign the filter cutoff to an envelope generator - the rest I will leave for you to figure out!

BTW - will done for spotting this second more subtle effect - most peps would have not.

JP
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 am

I can't hear the track, but you can achieve a "swoosh" using a synth set to white noise. Hold a key and sweep a low pass filter from low frequency to high and you can achieve a swoosh that way. Put a flanger on it for extra flavour.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Biscuits » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Thank alot guys, you've been great help
Biscuits
Poster